Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if everyone has seen the post on the coal fired plant proposed in Manistee: LINK .

Should this plant be approved it will put large amounts of emissions (particularly Mercury) into the air. This will affect the Little Manistee river the produces nearly all the states steelhead, some trout and a great deal of salmon. It's already dangerous to eat too much fish caught in Michigan waters but will be nearly impossible if this plant goes into operation.

Even more scary is the fact that the company (Tondu) proposing the plant admits that the emissions will settle 40 to 50 miles from Manistee. Some believe it could be as far away as Alpena to the east but that is speculation right now. At 40 to 50 miles that will affect Lake Michigan and numerous streams and rivers in the area. Furthermore the settled Mercury will enter the ground water and have adverse affects on all wildlife as well as human consumption.

This site is 7000+ members strong. We need to have letters written to all the addresses listed belong. We had an effect on the proposed drilling in the Mason Tract and it's time for the sportsmen to be heard from again.

I'm sure you too will oppose this plant once you visit the link above and read the facts. Not only are our waters and sport fishing in jeopardy but so is the health of you and your family.

Voice your opinions:

Manistee City Planning commission c/ Joe Rose 70 Maple st. Manistee 49660

Manistee City Council 70 Maple st. Manistee 49660

Manistee County Commissioners 415 Third st. Manistee 49660

(Manistee Citizens for Responsible Development)
Fred Lapoint 1606 Main st. Manistee 49660

Dave Barber Manistee News Advocate 75 Maple St. Manistee 49660

Govenor Granholm state Capitol Po bos 30045 Lansing 48918

Senator Michelle McManus 905 Fornum Bldg. po box 30036 Lansing 48909

Representative David Palsrock po box 30014 Lansing 48909

Good luck to us

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent the following letter to Rep. Palsrock, Sen. McManus and the Governor's office. Anyone is welcome to copy it, change it to suit their needs and send it off. I didn't save the letter I sent to the City of Manistee but it was very similar to this one.

Dear Representative David Palsrock,

I am writing concerning the proposed Coal Powered Plant to be placed on the shores of Manistee Lake.

I live in Southern Michigan but have owned a vacation spot in Manistee County for many years. My family and I spend up to 2 months out of the year in Manistee County when you total up the weekends, family vacations and fishing excursions throughout the year. I have planned for years to retire to Manistee County when the time comes.

First and foremost I fear that, if approved, this plant will jeopardize the health of my family and I with the emissions from the plant. Without question this plant will put mercury into the air that has adverse affects on the nervous system and breathing.

It is estimated that the emissions (mercury) from this plant could travel from 40 miles to as far away as Alpena. I find it troubling that the City of Manistee is deciding an issue that could affect other cities, townships and counties. Nearby Filer Township has already decided they do not want this plant within their borders but will have to suffer the fallout emitted by this plant should Manistee decide to go ahead with this plan.

Furthermore the emissions will harm fish and wild life. The mercury in the air will have to settle eventually which will put it on the ground and in the waters, including Lake Michigan. Once the mercury settles on the ground it will work it’s way into the ground water and streams. Once the wild life and fish are infected it will take decades to clean up. The mercury in the waters, and fish, will not only impact Manistee County but other states as well since many of the steelhead and salmon planted around the country are taken from the weir on the Little Manistee river.

While I have complete confidence in the Department of Environmental Quality it is my understanding that the standards for these types of emissions are set by the Federal Government and are very high. Michigan already is ranked 9th in the country for mercury emissions which is not a ranking I wish to see the state climb.

This plant will impact the entire northwest corner of Michigan that is why I feel the State Government needs to intervene with this issue. This plant will affect the health of the residents as well as the livelihood of those who depend on tourism to support their families. I understand the need to find sources for energy but clean, safe alternatives are available and must be utilized.

I’ve included two articles from the Traverse City Eagle that will provide more information on the issue.

Respectfully,

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On Thursday the Manistee City Planning Commission turned down the Tondu Corporation for a special use permit to build the Northern Lights Power Plant on Manistee Lake. The vote was 8-0. The City Commission still has to vote on the issue, but an approval is very doubtful at this time. Joe Tondu said he was disapointed and would consider what to do next. Amoung the possibilities: revising and resumbmitting the proposal, seeking a new plant site and suing the city. Tondu added that a lawsuit "is a option but it's nothing we're really considering right now". The planning commission said that they balanced the risks with the benefits and the risk was far greater than the benefit. Thanks to all the MS members who wrote letters and took the time to get involved. We prevented a potential environmental disaster from effecting the area fishing! Good Job.

With that said I'm 'un-sticking' this thread. Thanks to those who wrote letters and phoned those responsible for making this decision. Take a break until it's time to get involved in the next threat to our health and wildlife.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Good work, Pat.

I'm going to bring this to the attention of the HRFA as a lot of us fish that area on a regular basis. Let's all get together and make our voice heard.

·
Premium Member
9,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris but Koho, DryFly and some of the others who actually attented the meetings and let the voices be heard for the masses are the folks to thank. I just wrote letters.

My next venture may have something to do with navigable streams. I read the report that I posted in all the river forums a couple of nights ago for the second time today. I really feel that there are a lot of streams out there that the public is kept from that shouldn't be. There also needs to be legislation introduced (the words of the Michigan Supreme Court, not mine) regarding this issue. There was legislation introduced in 1968 that passed the state Senate but the House let it die in committee.

I've got a little more reading to do and I'll post something when I'm ready.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts