Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard and read a ton of stuff on CWD, the one thing I haven't heard though, are the DNR going to open up more Doe tags again. The Doe heard has been regulated and were making a great comeback after the 1990's when unlimited doe tags were allowed. Are they going to try and kill off the current heard to reduce the risk of this disease spreading.

I hope not, I have no problem taking 1 doe a year but I would hate to see a mass kill take place as mentioned in earlier years to fight this disease.
The thought process behind this is the fact that less deer feeding in the same place the less chance of disease spreading.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
Expect every attempt to kill a lot more does in 2009. Maybe even some emergency rules will come this year?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I have heard and read a ton of stuff on CWD, the one thing I haven't heard though, are the DNR going to open up more Doe tags again. The Doe heard has been regulated and were making a great comeback after the 1990's when unlimited doe tags were allowed. Are they going to try and kill off the current heard to reduce the risk of this disease spreading.

I hope not, I have no problem taking 1 doe a year but I would hate to see a mass kill take place as mentioned in earlier years to fight this disease.
The thought process behind this is the fact that less deer feeding in the same place the less chance of disease spreading.

I don't know where you hunt, but most of the LP and particularly the SLP we are going to need a massive reduction of our deer herd. We are facing the possiblity of having free ranging deer with CWD, in one of the most densely overpopulated counties in the state. The jeanie could very well be out of the bottle as we speak.

In the past we have managed our herd for maximum recreational opportunity, we now need to think in term's of damage control, not the way we have done thing's in the past. The status quo will not cut it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would bet the DNR will open the season on doe's. I don't know how much affect it will have though. As we have seen in DMU 452 you can only get the herd down so far then it levels off. Why? well, in DMU 452 you had 3 things playing against the DNR.

1. DNR's TB scare - no one wants to take a chance on eating one.
2. Deer numbers got down to where they only saw 1 - 3 deer/day not 20. so why hunt the area. no baiting can be lumped in here I think.
3. Private land owners not shooting the doe's

Things in the SLP that make it even harder are:

Less Public land
CWD is worst than TB so guys will not hunt the area.

The only way I can see the numbers going down is if the DNR puts a bounty on the deer.

Hey, don't laugh it may have to come to this.

·
Registered
15,196 Posts

I dont think your fears will materialize. Our herd also made a comeback,I think the unlimited doe tags you mentioned cheapend the sport enough around here to get rid of the riff raff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
i had 400 acres in mio in the 90's when the ((hillbilly shoot)) started and it was like ww3 broke out. i seen guys with 10-15 deer in there trucks laughing about it. well i seen the same dumb ass guys yrs later at the mio saloon and they couldn't figure out why their not seeing deer lol lol lol lol. a real good friend of mine is head of wildlife management in Texas and told my there's TB in every herd it's natural. the herd in Michigan over the last 50 yrs was between 1-3% of the herd had TB. with a spike of 4% in the 50s nothing was done then and the numbers went down. know were in the 90s and the TB gets to 3.5% and all hell brakes loss. i ask only one question WHY DOES THE INSURANCE COMPANY'S HAVE PEOPLE SITTING IN OUR MEETINGS FOR FISH AND GAME MANAGEMENT???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts