Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Slept in quite a bit today, but did get up once just in time to see John heading out on his guide trip. Now I've been sitting here since I got up for good debating with myself about going out fishing myself (20 degrees out right now, not too bad...) or writing a short report and getting a few other chores done around the house, shop & motel.

Now that I've been up a bit and had a cup of coffee the mind is clearing the compromise is that I've opted to go with writing this short report then going fishing for a little while! It is, of course, always possible that it'll be slow, but I just HATE it when I don't go then find out later it was a great day...

Since last report things have gone just about as predicted except for getting a bad cold, I helped cut up more deer on Tuesday after writing, but stayed home sick on Wednesday and worked at the shop in even worse condition on Thursday. Friday was more recovery time, but starting to feel a little better and got a few more things done around the shop with John. I "almost" called my guys for the trip on Saturday to either re-schedule or offer up another guide thinking it would kill me, but a few unpaid bills were subconsciously nagging at me and kept me from doing so.

Luckily, while my cold is still not completely gone even now, I felt pretty good in comparison to previous days on Saturday and met up with anglers Jeremy & Dave feeling great about getting out and looking forward to the trip. (Wayyy too much time off the water & probably why my body was in revolt!) To say it was cold out is a bit of an understatement, but we geared up accordingly and made a plan for the day.

Turns out, neither of the guys had ever used fly gear at all for Steelhead and only one of them slightly for trout. The goal for the day was not so much to catch fish, but instead to learn how to use floating lines and indicators well enough to do so and go over some streamer technique for future use. Sounds easy enough, but when you factor in a large diameter floating line that freezes up in the guides every fourth or fifth cast along with a beginners learning curve we had our work cut out for us.

Long story short, it was a cold tough day out there even for the more experienced anglers out in other boats, but everyone we spoke with had at least one shot at a Steelhead and played with a trout or two... including us! Flies that worked were nukes in lighter colors, hex and sparrow nymphs.

The guys were a pleasure to be out with and I am certain that the main goal of the day was accomplished in that both of them were making pretty good presentations at every spot by the end of the day without much coaching. Practice makes perfect, but there's enough skill there already to make it happen and it'll only get better as time goes on. Thanks a bunch guys, looking forward to the next time and Jeremy... NICE FISH!!

Jeremy with a hog of a first floating line/indy fish!

I was feeling pretty good after the trip (The natural high one gets just from time on the PM!) so I told my wife we could go join some friends for a dinner party that evening. (It was questionable when I left for the trip...) Great food, great company, great time! Thanks for having us over guys, we should do it more often! Result... Thoughts of fishing on Sunday were squashed and I spent my day watching football instead and sending off a Holiday message, GO STEELERS!! (A little heart stopping there for a little while!)

The Holiday message I sent out was a mix of advertising along with a sincere greeting from us to the 5,832 members of our on-line forum , but in hind sight it should go out to everyone so here's a copy of sorts for those of you interested and not registered with us:

Start

Hello,

First off... Happy Holidays from myself, my wife Karen, John and his wife Heather as well as the rest of the crew here at BBT!

Secondly I did want to tell everyone from our on-line family that while we do not as yet have an on-line store and business is always slow this time of year for us here at Baldwin Bait & Tackle (The Fly Shop @BBT) we do have a toll free number, (1-877-422-5394 or 1-231-745-3529) offer gift certificates (For guide trips, motel rooms or merchandise.) and can ship any item we carry to anywhere you wish!

Please let your friends and loved ones that may be interested know this as well and we do sincerely appreciate your business both past and present!

Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season as well as a great new year,
Steve Fraley

Finish

Well, I'm feeling the need to get out on the water now and that's pretty much it for "the report/my journal", you're up to speed, just another advertisement for our winter special below here...

Tight lines all,
Steve

Winter Special Details, Makes a Great Gift Too!

You can either get a free nights lodging with any full day trip (The hot tub is up and running by the way, a great place to relax after a fine day on the water!) or, a full day rate of $275. (Half day special rate is $195) We sincerely hope you'll take advantage of this and come spend some quality time out on the water with us!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Thanks Steve for another excellent report. Your service to MS members and sportsmen and women in general are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts

This is about as pretty a steelhead as I have seen in a long long time....Congrats on a true trophy....

Steve any lengths on that beauty?

And weight?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
That is a big ol' hennie right there man, nice!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's always tough to tell by a photo, hold it in too far against the body it looks smaller than what it did in person, hold it out to far you get the opposite. I "try" to get it just right with arms slightly bent, but it's always better to have seen it up close and personal for a more accurate guess...

A true trophy none the less, wish I'd caught it... :)

Steve

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The free nights lodging with any full day trip, a full day rate of $275; is that for two people or per angler?

·
Registered
956 Posts

This is about as pretty a steelhead as I have seen in a long long time....Congrats on a true trophy....
Whoaaaaaaaa!!!! That is one nice steelhead!!!!
Jim

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The free nights lodging with any full day trip, a full day rate of $275; is that for two people or per angler?
That's a full day rate of 275.00 for one or two people (Not each, just either.) or the normal rate of 325.00 and get a free nights lodging with it. (One or two anglers, doesn't matter, same rate.)

Thanks,
Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts