Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw an ad in Muskegon Chronicle for Steve's Bait and Tackle in Nunica going out of business sale. Really stinks how all the local shops are biting the dust. I'm culpable due to making catalog purchases. Pretty soon it's going to be hard to find a place to buy bait.

They were having some good sales with all big lake spoons $1 and most everything else 70-80 percent off.

Scott

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Yeah, I saw that too a few weeks ago. Too bad, its hard to find a good big water store anymore. I used to go to the Farmington Lakeside Tackle all the time and they closed. Gander and BPS suck in my opinion. I spend a pile of cash at both, but they certainly dont cater to the big water guys. I buy what I buy there cause its what they have.. Kinda suprised with their local and all that Steves would go under....

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya Jason. I thought he had a good location getting all the traffic from GR anglers headed to GH. I guess it's just another case of the big guys pushing another mom and pop under. Pretty soon it's going to be hard to find that specialized service bait shops offer.

Scott

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Just talked to him over the phone, almost everything is gone, tried to get some Spin Doctors and other goodies, oh well not much you can do about that...the internet and people buying over the net is killing the locals//

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Lakeside in st. Clair Shores or Fishing Tackle Grab Bag(Davison)(not really "East Side", but who's counting).

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought some spoons about 10 days ago at Steve's. He said he was closing because he had not been able to take time off for years and need a break. He probably made a good living there, and now it is time to retire. Steve's will be missed.:sad:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
bentrod said:
I bought some spoons about 10 days ago at Steve's. He said he was closing because he had not been able to take time off for years and need a break. He probably made a good living there, and now it is time to retire. Steve's will be missed.:sad:
That's the story I got. Too bad for us - I enjoyed going there. :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
The way I seez it is that maybe he priced himself right out of bidness. I remember going there for some Purple Prizm Hot-N-Tots and just about peed me pants when I saw how much he was charging for them. Given he was the only one within 30 mile that most likely had them but holy cats.....Yah feelin me?:yikes:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am proud to say I do all I ca nto avoid helping the corps. push guys around. Yes I do get some free product from manufacturers but if I need a bait line rod reel ect.. I spend the extra 5 to 7 percent and get it from capt chucks or another small business owner in the area I am in. What happened to Steve's is the same story all over the the mid west spend 50 bucks in gas to go to BPS or Gander to save 30.:bash:

P.S. The sponsors on this site like Fish Dog, Jamming Jigs and many others are new age mom and pop shops to me I think they do a great thing for the fishing industry and this fine site. WAY TO GO guys.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
fishin'magician' said:
P.S. The sponsors on this site like Fish Dog, Jamming Jigs and many others are new age mom and pop shops to me I think they do a great thing for the fishing industry and this fine site. WAY TO GO guys.
I second that.

BTW - the same thing happened to mom & pop neighborhood hardwares when Home Depot, Lowes, and Menards took over the market.

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
The Story I heard Friday is that Steve's wife inherited a bunch of money and instead of downsizing he is getting out of the biz for real this time. He sold his remaining tackle to a shop in Kalamazoo and will be out before the end of the year. Luckily we have Gander Mtns, Al & Bobs, Outdoorsman, MC Sports , American Tackle, and Gold Coast nearby who all carry big lake stuff. Not as much as Steve, but his prices were high except once a year anyway.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
I posted 2-3 months ago about Steve's demise as he had some huge going-out-of-business sale prices. Other sport shops were coming to Steve and buying inventory to take back to their shops. The biggest lost to W-MI in the future will be the lost of live bait options anywhere near route to fishing areas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts