Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a question regarding spooling up a centerpin reel. I am new to centerpinning and I was wondering what type of backing to put on my reel and how much do I need? I have a islander steelheader and plan on using bloodrun floating mono for a mainline. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Welcome to the addiction haha!... 20-30 lb Dacron fly backing. Likely somewhere around 100 yards. It’s a little tricky to figure out for each reel/line combo but basically I try to use enough backing to still get around 200 yards of line on my reel, or the full spool depending on what size spool of line you are working with. You’ll get more casting distance the closer to get to “full” you’ll have less line blowing off the side of the spool if you fill it a little short. I stay somewhere around 1/8” short of the spool/backplate gap.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I haven't used a line backing in several years. I install a cork backing, lighter, no water absorption, and easy to install. The hardest thing about doing this is figuring out how many layers of cork to install on a reel. Check out my blog page there is a short tutorial there on how it is done.

Reactions: eggfly

·
Registered
895 Posts
Good luck on the pin! I haven’t used backer in a while either, just 300 yards of bloodrun mono fills up my reels pretty close to not being overfilled, or underfilled. Maybe a big 5.5” reel might need some backing tho?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Thanks for all the help everyone, I appreciate it. Looking forward to giving pinning a try.

Scott
I am sure you will enjoy the time spent with a Center Pin setup, it is a very enjoyable way to fish. Don't worry about your casting ability to start, short smooth casts will soon become long smooth casts with practice. And it does take practice, been at it for about 7 years and I still go out into the side yard a few times a year to just throw it a for an hour or so. Find a cast you are comfortable with and practice, practice and then practice some more. ;);)

Reactions: eggfly
1 - 7 of 7 Posts