Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy an islander. One of the ones has a leaky bellows. Question 1, can you see if the transom has structure issues? Question 2 If the transom and bellows need replacing what kind of cost is involved?

Thanks for your help guys
Bob

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The only way i can think of checking the transom with out pulling the motor would be to drill holes and see what comes out.... Maybe tap it and see if you can hear differances/hollows sounds. But even that would be hard with a motor in the way. Transom repair will be expensive! You prolly could find cheaper than 3-4k but still expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,056 Posts
If you cannot do it yourself it will cost 3 to 4000. Bellows around 800. Transom... pull motor ect.
Lower the motor, carefully stand on the cavitation plate. Then slowly move your weight up and down. Get it rocking and see if the transom moves independent to the back of the boat. Any moisture in your transom is also a bad sign. If you tighten any bolts on your transom and water squeezes out, that’s bad.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Bellows will be around 1000 because you will want to replace gimbal bearing, u-joints and possibly the shift cable depending on the amount of corrosion. It kind of sounds like a run away deal. There is a pretty sharp islander for sale down the road from me. No clue of the history or price but it is always covered and looks pretty sharp. PM me if you are interested and I can check it out for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts