Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you tie the flies to the main line so they don't just get twisted in it? :help: I tried it last year and it just got caught on the main line.
Thanks!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Take 2fol or so and over lap it with your primary line. Then tie a barrel or blood knot or even a square knot in both lines. This will give you two tag ends. Trim one tag end down to 1/8-1/4" inch. The other tag you want to tie your fly to about 3/4"-1 1/2" from the main line. At the very end you want to tie your jig. I usually have mine 8"-18" from the jig, depending on water clarity and what the fish are doing. When you are holding the line with the jig on it the fly should hang away from the main line. If it doesn't then you have tied it too far from the main line and it will get twisted. If the fly is too heavy it will get twisted. What you are trying to do is have the right amount of line that allows the fly to pulsate in the water while you jig. Good luck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I believe that a "dropper" line must be 3" or longer to be legal in MI. If you use a larger # test line for the dropper it stick out form the main line.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
FishDaddy09 said:
I believe that a "dropper" line must be 3" or longer to be legal in MI. If you use a larger # test line for the dropper it stick out form the main line.
Thanks to the lobbying efforts of hardcore bass fishermen, the regulation you are referring to is scheduled to no longer be in effect for most bodies of water (except for the salmon rivers I think) when the new regs go into effect in April. Tying to the main line will be perfectly fine. Too bad it's not that way for this winter...

·
Registered
167 Posts
ReddHead said:
Take 2fol or so and over lap it with your primary line. Then tie a barrel or blood knot or even a square knot in both lines. This will give you two tag ends. Trim one tag end down to 1/8-1/4" inch. The other tag you want to tie your fly to about 3/4"-1 1/2" from the main line. At the very end you want to tie your jig. I usually have mine 8"-18" from the jig, depending on water clarity and what the fish are doing. When you are holding the line with the jig on it the fly should hang away from the main line. If it doesn't then you have tied it too far from the main line and it will get twisted. If the fly is too heavy it will get twisted. What you are trying to do is have the right amount of line that allows the fly to pulsate in the water while you jig. Good luck.
If you could go ahead and post a pic so I know exactly what you are talking about? I too have had the problem with my fly getting twisted around the main line and would like to keep this from happening in the future.

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
There is and artical by Mark Strand on a couple methods the use droppers.....

Tight lining and Loose Lining

Check them out at the Ice team web page

http://www.iceteam.com/annual04.htm

Hope this helps....

As for the three inch dropper rule......currently it is the law

However, it seems that both these methods (if I remember correctly) were developed in Michigan by Michigan anglers

Use your best judgement.......I do :evil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts