Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a former buddy who between him and his dad lose 2-4 deer a year. Simply because they’re to lazy to put the effort in to track. His dad should not be hunting, every year it’s the same story. I call him a former buddy because last year I felt sorry enough for his dad that I put him in one of my stands that had a decent buck coming thru at 30 yards I figured chip shot with a muzzleloader. I told him any deer is free game except 1 particular doe that was known to drop triplets every year. I hear a shot from his direction and meet him at dark. Says it was a good buck. He says he believes he missed. No blood no hair. So I return in the morning. Find blood and hair. I pick up the track and low and behold find my triplet bearing doe. Dead 70 yards from the stand. With her babies still hanging around. Needless to say friendship ended after that. Some people just shouldn’t be allowed to hunt but the DNR makes it so easy these days they’re not worried about herd management. They’re worried about herd annihilation.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Found a 20" wide 8 point last weekend on my property. It was hit high and back, bullet did not pass through, I thought that was odd. Probably a muzzleloader without enough propellant behind it. Hard to say how far it ran, probably a liver shot, no blood trail due to high hit and no exit wound. Appears to me to be a poor shot with a poor weapon.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Found a 20" wide 8 point last weekend on my property. It was hit high and back, bullet did not pass through, I thought that was odd. Probably a muzzleloader without enough propellant behind it. Hard to say how far it ran, probably a liver shot, no blood trail due to high hit and no exit wound. Appears to me to be a poor shot with a poor weapon.
I agree. With all the special hunts,etc there is what like 54 days of gun.

We don't find too many dead does... just a coincidence im sure.
And how many (archery) days prior to gun season with
x-bows advertising 100 yds rifle like accuracy! Im tired of dead deer in My hunt area prior to gun season. Never had that before!!!!

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
Or a hail Mary shot at a range that exceeded the bullets energy to pass thru. Bet someone somewhere is talking about how a bullet didn't perform and they lost a deer that they shot in the heart

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
In all the years that I have been hunting I have only lost one buck. It was a ten point and I broke his front leg. Dad saw him a week later so I didn't kill him. One of the neighbors killed him the following season. I can tell you that we tracked that bugger for over 2 miles before we gave up and I got chewed out just about every day for the rest of the season for making a bad shot. I was 14 and still remember a bad case of buck fever.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts