Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Im doing the same thing today. Found a nice chunck of backstrap and going to be tossing it in the smoker today. Always wanted to try it smoked.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Yup got about 8# left all burger. About enough for a big crock of spaghetti sauce and probably 5#s to snack sticks. Ill get that done by next wednesday. New deer in our freezer by the following Wednesday is the game plan.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im doing the same thing today. Found a nice chunck of backstrap and going to be tossing it in the smoker today. Always wanted to try it smoked.
I've smoked a few backstraps, cut thin slices in them stick a slice of sweet onion in the cuts wrap in bacon and give it about 3hrs in an apple and hickory smoke. Heaven on a plate.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
First time smoking venison today. Highly recommend it!!! I marinated it with some olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper for few hours. 225 for 1.5 hours, it hit 135 degrees, pulled and rest. Sliced thin and seved with a creamy pepper jack cheeae. Awesome!!!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The same thing is on the top of my things to do list. I believe I have enough left for a nice batch of snack sticks.
Do you make your own snack sticks? That is something I have never been able to do. I used to take meat into the meat market when we lived in the SW LP and they would make Zick Sticks, some of the best and every time I tried it, just never worked out, I got the jerky and summer sausage down. So if you do your own and want to share i'm all ears.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do you make your own snack sticks? That is something I have never been able to do. I used to take meat into the meat market when we lived in the SW LP and they would make Zick Sticks, some of the best and every time I tried it, just never worked out, I got the jerky and summer sausage down. So if you do your own and want to share i'm all ears.
Zicks is the top on stix. Been using them for decades. Same here, cant even come anywhere close to them.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Wow 4 deer , my son and last two years not a single shot fired,bad axe area
Yup, two does November 18, a buck November 21 and the third doe December during muzzleloader.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Zicks is the top on stix. Been using them for decades. Same here, cant even come anywhere close to them.
Are they still doing it? It's been 25 years since we lived in this area. I remember for every pound of ground venison I would drop off I would get the same amount back in zick sticks after they added other and processed.

·
Registered
37,009 Posts
I make my own. I have a #32 head meat grinder, meat mixer and sausage stuffer. I add about 6-7# of hog jowl for a 25# batch. I either use a recipe or just buy the Hunter Snack kit from Cabelas. Here’s a 50# batch ready to hit the over and smoker.
Ingredient Publication Cuisine Wood Material property

Brown Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
If you take a look at the PS Seasonings website you will likely find the same spices and cure that are packaged in the Cabela's kit for a better price.

Food Cuisine Ingredient Dish Font

You can add some high temp cheese (1# cheese per 10# meat)

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Chinese sausage

Unless you have a large capacity smoker do not overfill your smoker with tightly packed hoops of sticks. They will not cook evenly if packed too tight in a small smoker. I ruined a 20# batch by packing all of these (and more) in my Bradley smoker.

Product Wood Gas Composite material Handle

Shoot for an internal temp of 154 degrees - they will continue to cook a little more after removing them from the smoker.

Gadget Audio equipment Communication Device Gas Electronic device

Home appliance Gas Computer hardware Audio equipment Wood

I like to place them on racks horizontally the same as Luv2. It is easy to rotate the racks front to back and top to bottom during the smoking process so they all cook evenly.

Food Ingredient Cuisine Dish Cooking

After they have cooled off you can cut them to whatever size you like for packaging and storing.

Food Knackwurst Italian sausage Cervelat Mettwurst

1 - 20 of 25 Posts