Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will not be buying any "over priced" non-lead sinkers until my 20-year supply of lead sinkers is used up.

Anglers Offered Alternatives To Toxic Lead Sinkers

Inside the store, another angler says he doesn't want to poison loons, but he isn't ready to give up his investment in lead weights. "I have the tackle so I might as well use it," he says. "Maybe I'll switch to the other stuff, as I use up the old."

http://glrc.org/transcript.php3?story_id=2052

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
At the risk of sounding too "PC", I'd be glad to exchange my lead for tungsten, if the opportunity presents itself.

·
Registered
9,743 Posts
I have pretty much stopped using lead altogether..... I figure for a couple more bucks, I can still get a whole lot of sinkers and Usually you don't lose THAT many anyways, so for 15 bucks more a year for a guy that fishes all the time, i'm not too upset about paying a little more. I know some studies have shown that there isn't too much of an impact, but lead doesn't breakdown so the problem can get out of hand possibly. Why not err on the side of caution on this one.

steve

·
Super Moderator
37,503 Posts
I have some Carolina rigging bullet sinkers, spinnerbaits and jigs made with tungsten. The jigs actually give me a better feel of the bottom, I think because they are harder. The sinkers definitely give off a louder clack for the same reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts