Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to look a lot like the summer of 2005. Ten day forecast calls for continued arid weather. My farm has received 0.2 inches of rain since the 2nd of June. Showers earlier this past Tuesday mostly missed, yielding about a tenth of an inch. Just like in '05, we're getting an extended pattern of dry air, and occasional isolated precipitation coming from the NW, which always peters out to nothing by the time it reaches the high plains of Hillsdale. We're missing our good soakers from the SW. I'll be spraying my RR corn (planted 05/30) tomorrow; I'd rather wait, but right now the corn is only about 5" tall while the weeds (they loved the 600# of fertilizer) are up about a foot.

FWIW, statistically, my area averages about 4.2 inches of rain in June, our historically wettest month. In '05, June was virtually free of any precipation whatsoever.

It would all be easier to take if not for the televised weather forecasts, watching the weatherbabes gush about how "beautiful" the weather is.:rant:

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Heck, it doesn't seem to stop raining at our property. I have alot of dead buckwheat from all the rain! This week is the first I've been able to walk by my plot without getting mud all over my boots. The BW that IS growing is about 2' tall already.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
FL, I feel your pain. I sprayed my corn and beans last weekend. They aren't looking so great but it was the only chance I had to spray. I'd like to say at least the clover fields are looking good but I sprayed them too early(late April) and the weeds have taken over. One weed in particular(I believe it's LadysThumb grows like crazy in my clover. I'm thinking about spraying Roundup again because the field is close enough to the well that I can keep the clover irrigated. We may have to resort to doing a rain dance or two if we don't get some help from Mother Nature.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Here in the Central Up we've gotten a good bit of rain, but as of 3 weeks ago we were saying the exact same thing. Dry dry and dry. Now it's a complete 180.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yeah, it's definitely been dry. We were a bit lucky yesterday here in Monroe County with a passing thunderstorm. Thing is, it was moving so quickly that we barely got anything out of it. In fact, by the time I got home from work (only an hour or two after it rained) all of the rain had evaporated out of the rain gauge already. It was dry as a bone. The wife said it rained hard and if I didn't trust her so much, I would say that she was lieing. There wasn't even the slightest sign that it had rained. That's how dry it is right now. It is totally amazing though how the weeds just seem to love droughts. They pop right up and keep growing no matter what the weather is, it seems.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
You think we are dry, check out a weather map down south or talk to the people at the QDMA in Georgia. In many cases, I am hearing that have lost a lot of crops and their plots.

I have two plots in the woods, with some shade and protected from the wind that are doing excellent. The farmers are struggling around me, but with one good soaking we will be in excellent shape. If I can find the link to the drought conditions, you will be amazed, they are in extreme and we are just barely making it on the map for drought conditions,

·
Registered
570 Posts
I echo the sentiment...I planted 1000 trees this spring and have lost quite a few already and will be losing more every day. This spring they were doing awesome, now they're just burning up. It's frustrating~

·
Registered
3,284 Posts
Had some rain overnight last Sunday in Howell. We planted 150 blue spruce 5/20 and they are doing well, but we have had to resort to filling up a 300 gal tank and hand watering them. Not much fun after long day at work, then an hour of standing around.

Mydogwoods planted same time are ok but they we in swampy area.

We planted 200 service berry and 200 highbush cranberry all mixed in together. Interesting that the highbush has died and the service berry is doing fine.

I am glad that I waited to do my switch grasss until this fall. There was a post earlier in the year about waiting....I'm glad I did.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts