Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
i made one out of a 16 inch long 2 inch round cold roll steel and welded a ring to one end and machine a taper on the other end you have to make sure it falls vertical but the vacuum for stabbing into muck was a good bond i would almost fill boat with water trying to pull it free

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
15 pound mushroom or a 15 pound tri fluked river anchor. Put one of each front corner if you have to. If you are anchoring in relatively shallow water, you can make your own shallow water anchor poles. Look up DIY shallow water anchor. There's kits for threading two sections of fiberglass poles together to make them as long as you want. Just tie off to your cleats or you can get fancier if you want.

·
Premium Member
29,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
15 pound mushroom or a 15 pound tri fluked river anchor. Put one of each front corner if you have to. If you are anchoring in relatively shallow water, you can make your own shallow water anchor poles. Look up DIY shallow water anchor. There's kits for threading two sections of fiberglass poles together to make them as long as you want. Just tie off to your cleats or you can get fancier if you want.
The river anchor might work... a single mushroom that size probably not - my next door neighbor has a 15# mushroom on his 20' pontoon and seems to drag worse than I do with my Danforth.

Usually anchoring in ~12' for swimming, so I'm not sure how well a pole system would work.

·
Registered
9,818 Posts
A pair of these would work

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
I used a river anchor in Canada in the weed beds and the flutes worked the best of any anchor I have ever had. Sadly after many years the rocks ate it. I could see it and it was caught in a crck between2 rocks the size of cars. So that one became a resident of Canada. This was o Rice Lake which is just one big weed bed

·
Premium Member
29,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A pair of these would work
...and one only costs as much as I paid for my entire boat.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Two mushrooms, one forward and one astern.

·
Registered
13,993 Posts
If you have a lot of weeds, I'd just use 20# of chain. If you drop it straight down, it should penetrated the weeds, and sink until the marl lake bottom, where it will hold. And you should be able to pull it straight back up without much trouble. I use various chain anchors far more than all my other anchors, combined.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts