Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20' Pontoon
Current anchor is a 14lb Danforth with 6' of 1/2" chain (~14 lbs).

Early season the Danforth works great - but our lake is shallow (mostly 8-12 feet), weed growth takes off, and once the bottom is covered with weeds... the Danforth won't set.

It just sets on top of the weeds, pulls through them until the flukes gather a ball of weeds, and never sets.

Not anchoring on a weed bottom would be the obvious solution, but that basically means not anchoring in our lake.

Bottom in midsummer is ~1-2' of thick weed mat -> 1-2' of soft organic muck -> sand.

Any recommendations for an anchor that will set and hold in that?

·
Super Moderator
37,340 Posts
All I can really think of is going heavier and/or a 2nd anchor. Navy style is similar to Danforth but I think would do better with the weeds. Will be a b**** to pull up though.

·
Registered
18,945 Posts
Reads shallow.
I've only run mushroom anchors in weeds. Mainly due to having them for marl/soft bottoms though.
Should grip fail it's often due to rope being mostly vertical , vs let out a distance at an angle.

A danforth is not going to punch through matted weeds effectively. Yee olde window weight /design might better.
Even the gallon plastic jug 1/2 -3/4 full of cement , trimmed plastic to cement edge.

Reactions: Scout 2

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
Know anyone that works ina machine shop or steel supply. Get a piece of 3 or 4 inch rod stock 12 to 14 inches long and weld or drill and tap for an eye on one end. It will work like a window weight but is heavier. Might evn work better is t he end is rounded

·
Premium Member
10,061 Posts
I d say heavier anchor should fix the problem.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Check out a box anchor if you haven't already. I use the small size Slide-Anchor model on our fun boat, and it's like tying it to a tree no matter how windy it gets. Seems to hold well on just about any type of bottom and folds for easy storage.

·
Premium Member
10,061 Posts
Try a cement block. Two if one doesn’t work

·
Premium Member
29,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try a cement block. Two if one doesn’t work
I know one won't work - because that is what I originally used. Drags right across the top of the weed, but at least it doesn't collect 20lbs of it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts