Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of you know of the animal rights group, PETA. There is another one out there that I think is causing even more problems for us in Michigan. The group is called "The Fund for Animals" and their website is www.fund.org/home/

I was troubled to read the negative arguments against hunting mourning doves in Michigan. (you can still find much of it on their page) This material ended up in papers accross the State. This tells me paper editors running the funds propaganda are in agreement with them.

Another bad angle this group is pushing, is trying to link the school shootings with hunting. They claim that teaching kids to hunt is leading to all of the recent violence. Nothing new, but remember, the newspapers have been had by these nuts before. The article on this topic is titled, "Children in the Crosshairs"

We need to be watching this organization and as hunters read what's being printed about us and our sport. It's tough looking at this crap they're coming out with, but we need to know our enemies better before the next battle.

G

·
0 Posts
Amen, most of the papers and media will print or say anything that these groups want them too. Its a sad situation what these groups get away with.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you go to that site check out "share your story" be ready to hold your temper! its about the dove vote. what really ticked me off was the comment "blow there brains out"
I did add this to my favorites list so i could watch what some of the garbage they are putting out.I get the feeling that those people might be real fanatics(ns of s).I agree hunters may need to keep an eye on them!

------------------
HAPPY AND SAFE HUNTING TO ALL.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What really gets me mad is that all of these organizations are recognized as such legitimate entities, whereas hunters are just a bunch of disenfranchised rednecks...

They spend $20.00 a year to get a calander or a magazine subscription and they're a full member.

Excuse me??? Are PETA & The Fund for Animals people required to buy licenses to be in their respective organizations?? Do they have to buy multiple licenses to defend different species?? Do they pay added taxes on whatever equipment they use in their cause?? Can they only be anti-hunting during specific seasons and dates??

I think more than anything else, we as hunters, are the stewards of this land. Why can't these people see that we are the ones providing for them?? People that hunt and fish pay for those who don't?? It's so simple.

How many species have we resurrected?? How much land and water have we saved?? How much more do we have to do to make them understand that we are not the enemy??

mikeylikesit...and wishes "they" did too...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I used to follow this groups activities quite a bit, along with H.S.U.S. Maybe I should start again.

Both groups are bad news. I juist checked in on HSUS to see their take on the MI dove bill and they had the "great white hunter shooting in my backyard" quote from Harry Gast. Not a great surprise.

I also wanted to clue you all in to a site called "GreaterGood.com". This site in itself is not a problem. E-tailers sign up to have their link on the site. Consumers then purchase goods from the retailer's link on the site. Then a percentage of the purchase price will be donated from the retailer to benefit groups such as wildlife foundations, children support groups and cancer research foundations. Sounds great huh?

The problem is that many e-tailers sign up not even checking who they are supporting! Last year another MI hunter and myself checked this site, and found that if you went in through the link at HSUS or FUND you saw listed ORVIS as a supporter! ORVIS!!!

There were others as well. Currently listed as available as donaters to FUND are: Patagonia, Eddie Bauer, Amazon.com, PetSmart. HSUS has the above plus REI Sports!

Rediculous that these companies do not check these kinds of things out. Of the 10 or so companies that we contacted at the time that we thought had hunters as a consumer target in some way, Orvis was the only one to respond timely. A vice-president of the company contacted us within 2 ours by e-mail, and I was called by phone about 1 hour later!

The others basically just said, "We don't make the decision of which group recieves the monetary support. We don't want to step on our customers feelings." Gutless passing of the buck if you ask me.

I especially think Amazon.com is rediculous in this regard. They support EVERYTHING. They support groups on both sides of the coin all the time. I have voiced my displeasure to them before. They could care less. Be aware of companies and site such as these. They seem to be more and more prevalent on the net.

Sorry for the LONG rambling.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Last year, The Fund for Animals was the chief suspect in a raid on a mink farm in Hermansville, MI., a small town in the U.P. They snuck onto the property at night and released all of the mink from their cages. The mink ran out onto the highway and were hit by cars, some drowned in a nearby creek, most died. Neighbors of the mink ranchers and volunteers from all over the area tried to catch the mink, but most of the loose ones died. It was financially and emotionally devistating for the ranchers. The response from The Fund for Animals, although they never admitted to the crime, was that it was better for the mink to be free and dead than live in cages. The Pipkorns, who owned the ranch, said that the mink had never known anything but captivity and could never survive in the wild. It was a real eye opener to have a group like that attack a ranch in a rural area like that.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Steve- Fund of Animals said that "Teaching kids to hunt is leading to all the recent violence." I just have to say that is bull and I STRONGLY disagree with that statement. I am 16 years old and hunting/fishing is prob the best thing that could have happened to me! I love it, its my favorite thing to do. I personaly think that teaching kids to hunt will decrease the the violence. It keeps them off the streets, away from drugs, trouble, etc. Especially if they enjoy it. Not only is shooting deer is a rush, but seeing them is also. Its prob the best "rush" you can get, you can't get something like that from drugs, alcohol, and violence, its not pure.

I believe it was the all mighty Fred Bear that said "If teenage thrill seekers really want to get a thrill, head up to the northwest, and tangle with a grizzly bear, a brown bear, a polar bear. They will get a thrill that will cleanse the sole."

[This message has been edited by shooter921 (edited 01-15-2001).]

G

·
0 Posts
Shooter921, Steve did not say what you said in your post. The Funds for Animals said it so please read Steve's post again.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
It says "ANOTHER BAD ANGLE" talking about kids and hunting, he also said that "FUND FOR ANIMALS" is another site that is causing more problems. They were also saying "NEGITIVE THINGS", "STILL CAN BE FOUND ON THEIR PAIGE". Thats why the title of the forum is -Enemy of Michigan Hunters- Try reading it again.

[This message has been edited by shooter921 (edited 01-14-2001).]

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the record, I'm reporting what I found on the Fund for Animal site and disagree with all of it. I think that's what shooter921 is trying to say, but I maybe I'm mistaken. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
[qoute]Another bad angle this group is pushing, is trying to link the school shootings with hunting. THEY claim that teaching kids to hunt is leading to all of the recent violence. Nothing new, but remember, the newspapers have been had by these nuts before. The article on this topic is titled, "Children in the Crosshairs[/qoute]

[This message has been edited by StrutnSpur (edited 01-14-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Steve, Isn't this the same group that let the research animals loose from either Michigan or State then set the lab building on fire a couple of years ago? If so maybe people should be made aware of their background, get a feel for who their listening to, when they start a negative campaign against us!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Nailer,

I saw a story on 60 minutes last night about the Earth Liberation Front (ELF). They were responsible for a fire in a lab building at State a few years ago. They are a terrorist group more extreme than the Fund, I believe. Setting animals free is one thing, but setting fires is quite another.

Regards,
Byron

·
Registered
12 Posts
Byron,
I also watched 60 min. last night about the ELF and could not believe what I was hearing.The person who was being interviewed saying he didn't believe burning down building's was wrong!Just because no one was inside at the time.There are alot of crazy people in the world,closer than we might think.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Many are unaware of local animal rights organizations. We have a group called ADAPTT- Animals Deserve Absolute Protection Today& Tomorrow based right here in MI! They are in Royal Oak and were the placers of the "skinned mink" billboards down state that some of you may have seen.

Get this. This group DIRECTLY opposes: ASPCA, American WIldlife Institute, GreenPeace, Michigan Humane Society, National Geographic, World Wildlife Fund, and the Boy Scouts of America!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts