Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Ameristep Doghouse blind last month and finally got around to setting it up today in my backyard to get it seasoned for a couple of days before putting it out in the field. First time I've ever used one of these and have some questions.

I'm having a hard time installing the fiberglass support tubes. Are these really necessary to keep the roof up? Do you guys tie them at the top of the blind first and then insert them into the pockets by the windows? They sure seem tricky to install.

How do you exactly use the high-wind tie down stakes? It came with eight of them, aren't four at each corner all that's necessary? What's up with the four strings with some kind of plastic attachment? I noticed loops on each outside corner of the blind, are these supposed to be utilized for tying it down?

I didn't think the instructions that came with the blind were very good for this stuff. Hopefully someone on here can enlighten me!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
They are necessary to keep out the water from pooling, and if you get any snow at all, the fabric will stretch.

In my doghouse, I get into the middle of the blind and fully assemble a pole. I then put one end into the support hole and then make it into a U shape with the center of the U toward the ground. I then put the other end of the pole into the opposite support hole. Next rotate the entire pole that is in a u shape up into position.

Repeat the process with the other pole so they are now criss crossed, and tie them into place. Easy to assemble the dog house.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I stake every stake I can down into the ground through the supplied holes at the bottom of the blind. I then use the tie down rope to tie to a tree if any are close to the blind. That way, even if it gets blown down, it will stay in place.

I also believe that opening the windows keeps the wind resistance a little less allowing wind to travel through the blind. It also gets the deer used to seeing the windows open.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Easiest way I've found to install the support rods is to face the front of the blind with the rod sticking out the door behind me. I put the rod in the pocket in front, then turn around and put the other end in the pocket nearest the door.

Even with the rods installed, heavy snow needs to be cleared off the roof. I have had the rods break under the strain.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
They are necessary to keep out the water from pooling, and if you get any snow at all, the fabric will stretch.

In my doghouse, I get into the middle of the blind and fully assemble a pole. I then put one end into the support hole and then make it into a U shape with the center of the U toward the ground. I then put the other end of the pole into the opposite support hole. Next rotate the entire pole that is in a u shape up into position.

Repeat the process with the other pole so they are now criss crossed, and tie them into place. Easy to assemble the dog house.
:yeahthat:

As far as the stakes throw them away and use some good tent stakes. Those metal ones will spin around and the blind will come off them. Use the ropes to help tie it down so the wind don't tear it down for you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I'm taking this down before gun season, though, so I don't anticipate any snow accumulating on the roof of the blind.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Easiest way I've found to install the support rods is to face the front of the blind with the rod sticking out the door behind me. I put the rod in the pocket in front, then turn around and put the other end in the pocket nearest the door.

Even with the rods installed, heavy snow needs to be cleared off the roof. I have had the rods break under the strain.
I have had them break too. If you have to leave it out for a while, a good idea is to get a expando shower curtain rod, spray paint it black, extend it to size, and place it at where the two poles cross on the ceiling. This will help!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I tried it tonight and got the tubes figured out. Everything is solid there. I'll have to look into getting better stakes as this will be out in the open for a couple of months.

What do you guys sit on in these things? Seems like a regular lawn chair would be too high. I'm using this with a crossbow, BTW.

·
Registered
449 Posts
After having two doghouse blinds blow away during turkey season, I now use stakes made from re-bar, about 12" long The wind in the spring pulled out the tent stakes I used. The wire stakes are not good enough to hold the blind down, not even the tent stakes I bought.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After having two doghouse blinds blow away during turkey season, I now use stakes made from re-bar, about 12" long The wind in the spring pulled out the tent stakes I used. The wire stakes are not good enough to hold the blind down, not even the tent stakes I bought.
Where did you get those stakes at? I looked at some tent stakes online and wasn't impressed that they would hold the blind down better than what's provided.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Mine are tied to a 12" pvc tube in the center. This I bury in the ground. Also works to hold blind in place on the ice. Drill extra holes on the side and place tube below the ice

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I ended up setting it up last night and used the stakes that it came with (two on each corner). I also used the included rope and tied it down to a couple of trees nearby. I'm not too concerned about it blowing away. I left two of the windows open as well which I think will help with wind currents passing through.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.