Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I don't know if there's a scientific difference between the names or not, all I know is that we've planted thousands of them all over northern MI for wild turkey and deer food sources. They grow well in well-drained, loamy soil, it seems. I don't know anything about Ph or anything like that, check with your district soil conservationist or forester.

Deer love everything about them when they're young, so protect the seedlings with tree shelters. In a good mast year, you'll find a grouse under every bush.

One of the only shrubs that bloom in the fall after the nut falls off...they spread naturally very well, too.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Corylus americana - American Filbert or Hazelnut

It is different than Witchhazel.

American Filbert is in the Betulaceae family. Good plant for naturalizing. Grows to 15-18' height and 8-10' spread. Medium to fast grower. Flowers white in early spring. Gets 1/2" long nuts. Transplants well, likes well drained, loamy soil, ph adaptable, full sun to light shade.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I planted about a dozen seedlings about 20 years ago. They are now about 15’. They produce lots of flowers but nut production is scant. In that 20 years I had only one major crop of nuts and they were so small I didn’t bother with them(took em out and threw them in the woods for the critters) They do form a kinda nice hedge though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts