Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sit here this morning wondering if I should go out tonight or not. The farmer is picking beans and it is taking him longer than I expected because his combine broke. I have a good feeling that he will have it fixed and be picking beans tonight. All of my buck sign is on the field edge that I expect him to be picking. The deer have slowed way down this week. last night was a painfull sit for 3 hrs watching trees grow old. I keep going over and over in my head which stand to sit. Should I take a decoy. Should I take a climber and head down into the woods. Should I stay home. Am I doing more harm than good by pressuring the deer. I keep thinking I should go in the morning when there has been less activity on the property.

I finally heard the yotes again last night. Makes me wonder if they dont follow the deer around. because if I dont hear yotes when I leave the field at night there is a good chance I dont see deer. I probably will go because I cant kill one on the couch.

Just wondering if anyone else talks themselves out of hanging in a tree watching nothing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You can't shoot em from behind your computer screen. The rut is on, they are used to combining. Been happening all over the last few weeks.
Wish I could get out tonight. Not til Friday morning. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Its as much mental as it is physical for me. I can ruin a hunt all in my head. If I start thinking about not seeing deer or the what if sat there or did this I end up hosing myself or not even going out so I know what your talking about.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Any time that you have an opportunity to take a stand next to an ag field go for it unless the wind is wrong. Not only do you have a food source but the noise from the machinery will usually cover any that you might accidentally make. Once a bean field is harvested the deer will usually look for greener pastures unless there are some accidental harvest spills by the farmer or occasional plants not harvested for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
im guilty of thinking too much sometimes, should i hunt here or there? should i not walk to that stand? should i really go out? should i be quiet or call? i have been working on keeping in mind that id rather be out enjoying the outdoors than sitting at home, and sitting and seeing a fox or a single doe, and i have spooked doe and had them come back later that night or the next day so im not too worried about spooking them by being out, i havent spooked a buck this year though which im grateful for, i say go take your climber and sit a spot you feel they will be traveling and enjoy the great afternoon/evening we are going to have

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
"Ah, the heck with it, I'm going to go just sit in a tree on a run", resulted in my biggest bow kill to date......get out there.:)

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
One look at the calender should be all it takes to tell yourself you need to be in the woods. I can relate to the frustration..most probably can, but in an hour or so, I'll be in tree! Deer or no deer, it beats not sitting in a tree.

At this juncture in time, you can't second guess pressure, no pressure etc. You have to be aggressive and just hunt. As you know, it can happen at any moment, you just have to be present to take advantage of it.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys, you talked me into going. I saw a yearling but it was a great night in the woods. I had to watch a bunch of hunting shows to get motivated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts