Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I had a nice buck come in. He gets into range. I pull back the bow and pull the trigger on my release and it’s like my carbon arrow never even gets to him. He spooks off, not like he was just shot at or hit but spooks off like he saw movement. Runs 50 yards and blows and runs out of my life. I did find half my arrow, with no knock. Would I just put this off as the arrow was damaged and it wasn’t meant to be or make the switch to the older style aluminum arrows. I know I could go to FMJ but the price hurts my feelings. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Sure you didn't hit a tree branch or something else? I've never heard of a carbon arrow breaking in mid flight without hitting anything. Must have had some serious defect. I would use the arrows you practice with for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The knock broke on release, the arrow flew wild and broke on something? The blowing was actual maniacal laughter.

Reactions: on a call

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
that is a weird one . is there a chance that in practice one of the shafts was hit by another arrow? I would take the other shafts grip one end and grip the other and rotate your wrists in opposite directions, if you hear a rice crispy sound do not shoot the arrow . or as the first poster said re look the area you shot and see if there is a fresh break in a limb, sorry , some real bad luck there

·
Registered
14 Posts
It was either a highly damaged arrow or the nock split when shot. I always inspect my nocks for cracks because its a disaster waiting to happen...been there done that...once when shooting at a 10 point from then on all nocks are rotated perfect, snap on the string good and crack free.
Try quality nock like Accunock they are basically destructible.
http://www.accunock.com/

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
If you don't know you are to "Flex your Cabon Arrows to Make Sure they are Not "Cracked" or "Damaged". One reason why I have Always gone Back to Aluminum Arrows. Aluminum can be dented or bend but you can't see a cracked or damaged with a Carbon unless you are testing them. As well as others mention the Nock cracked or damaged. As also you should check your Bow before shooting just to be sure everything is good! I have tried GT Carbons and Easton FMJ's ( had the Hit insert come loose and slide back in the arrow when using their Special Insert Adhesive) No longer shoot either Carbons or FMJ's. Shoot what works for you, appears carbons did not work for the OP...
I continue shooting my XX75 & XX78 2514's as they have always been the best Arrow I have used in my 25 years of shooting Aluminum Arrows. And Aluminum Arrows have taken a lot of Big Game over the Years.
Newaygo1

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Aluminum arrows really came into use in the very late 50s.
Those were target arrows usually, at $32/dozen. How many bucks would that be today??
I started using Al arrows for hunting in mid 60s when compounds kinda took over.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I can tell you that with aluminum arrows you have more wind drift. Even with a crossbow.
I have a carbon arrow I have put threw 15 deer. I finally retired it when I seen a crack in it on the neck end.
A slight bend in an aluminum arrow will throw it off alot.
All gear needs to be checked each time you use it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts