Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this isn’t the appropriate place to ask this question. Does anyone have a recommendation on a cheaper alternative to the Orange Off Shore Tackle OR-19 planer board clips? These are the heavy duty front clips (orange color) that come with the Off Shore Tackle boards. Appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
426 Posts
I agree with not cutting corners. However personally myself and a few friends and changed those out to the clip that comes on a church’s board. They are not as tight and easier to unclip. In most instances they work great even pulling some deep diving cranks like huskys and reef runners. Just a suggestion

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I’m switching to 2 boards and rubber bands next year..well I’m at least gonna try.dont know if I’ll like them..
Do you mean big boards with rubber band releases? If so, there are pros and cons for each. Big boards are good when you are trolling fast (spoons or cranks), and trolling for long distances without pulling lines and making more passes. But they suck (IMO) for pulling harnesses slow, or if you have to make multiple passes over a small area. They are a pain to put out and bring in, so once they are out, you don't want to deal with them again very soon. When I use my big boards, I use cheap shower curtain rings and rubber bands, which work great. You can buy a ton of them for almost nothing and just let them pile up at the boards until you are ready to bring them in. The upside is that once the fish hits, you are free to fight the fish without having to deal with the boards.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Do you mean big boards with rubber band releases? If so, there are pros and cons for each. Big boards are good when you are trolling fast (spoons or cranks), and trolling for long distances without pulling lines and making more passes. But they suck (IMO) for pulling harnesses slow, or if you have to make multiple passes over a small area. They are a pain to put out and bring in, so once they are out, you don't want to deal with them again very soon. When I use my big boards, I use cheap shower curtain rings and rubber bands, which work great. You can buy a ton of them for almost nothing and just let them pile up at the boards until you are ready to bring them in. The upside is that once the fish hits, you are free to fight the fish without having to deal with the boards.
Thanks for that info..now I don’t know if I wanna switch..I do love trolling crawler harness..and I do hit the same area over and over once I locate fish..

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
You don't have to switch, you can do both. I have 4 off-shores with tattle flags and a set of big boards that I made myself. I also made the mast that I mount in a verticle trax-tech net-holder at the very front of my boat. The boards and mast probably cost me a total of $40-$50 in parts, including the planer board lines & clips, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts