Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an avid outdoors-man who has just recently--in the last three years--been introduced and hooked on waterfowl hunting. With previously sub-par deer hunting land (it has improved drastically this year) and the unquenchable thirst for being out in God's creation (relax, this is NOT one of those posts) I have slowly become addicted to chasing and calling to "wing-tips and tail-feathers."

After my first waterfowl hunt (pass shooting woodies, don't do that to your friends folks!) I bought a dog, he is yet unproven in the field, but I think he's ready.

In the nearly three full seasons of waterfowl hunting my bag count is low, something around 6 geese, 1 blue-winged teal, and 5 mallards. I've hunted from shorts and a t-shirt to as many extra layers as I could find and still manage to shoulder a gun. I've been there to see one dog's first field retrieve (Hunter) and to see a dog's last bumper retrieve (Benelli- RIP). Just this year I helped a fellow new-comer to the sport to kill his first duck. We actually used a piece of vinyl soffit as a flag when there was no motion in the decoys, I was sitting at the edge of the water kicking my foot to get waves going, calling with one hand, and flagging with this ridiculous piece of equipment in the other in order to bring down just two ducks.

After getting my feet wet in the sport, both figuratively and literally, I've decided that this is a nice reprieve from the mundane yet necessary quiet and calm of deer hunting. And as such, I've done some digging, some rigging, and some begging in order to get myself set-up for next year's waterfowl season. With some friends and some newly acquired ground and shoreline to hunt, 2014 is already shaping up to be a stellar season for making wary waterfowl fall from the skies.

Next season I'll have a boat to hunt from. I found out that my buddy has a frame for a blind for the boat that he sold me last year, I just need some fast-grass and some slight alterations and I'll be hunting from a boat. I plan to add a baby mojo or two as well as a jerk-rig and possibly a home made mallard machine to my already existing duck spread of an available three dozen (or so) dekes. This winter I also plan on adding between four and six floating goose decoys to my spread. I don't plan on hunting Geese exclusively on the water, but where seasons overlap I'd like the option. Add some afternoons this summer training the pooch, with my daughter in tow of course, and some other small details (call lanyard, etc...) and I should be a feather-felling machine!

Usually this is the point in a post where I ask for some sort of advice, tips, tricks, etc...but not today. Today I've got a tree to decorate, presents to wrap, and trips to Gander Mountain and Cabelas to plan. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Flight!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Good luck, the journey is only beginning for you! I've been in this silly game for many many years and I still spend money every year on "stuff".

Just added another new boat to the equation to the tune of $12,000.00 +.
Like I needed that!

ok ok I needed it baaaaaad! :D

Again, good luck because you've now got the sickness and it don't get any better................:SHOCKED:
s

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Good luck....it is a long adventurous journey...can get pricey at times but well worth it. I too have let the fangs of water fowling sink deep into some of my friends....they continually blame me for getting them addicted but I think they are better off :D. Happy holidays!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
280 Posts
Awesome that you got into duck hunting, don't get discouraged about your low kill numbers. I think I didn't even shoot a duck for my first 2 years duck hunting. It gets better for sure. Also, don't be so quick to call it quits on this year, this weekend opens back up for late duck weekend! I have a honey hole with 300 mallards in it. Can't wait to light them up again. Also late season goose starts up soon. Once you get a boat your kill count will go way up (as mine did this year). You can get away from the crowds and it offers you 100X more places to hunt. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
556 Posts
You will also learn when you start shooting a bunch of ducks, as the years go on, it's not about your kill count, but the experiences and the friendships you make

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did it sound like i was worried about my kill count? I've shot 300% more ducks this year than last, and I'm trying to find a spot for this weekend as well...late season goose is where I've done my best thus far as well.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already got that two pack of baby mojos on my wish list, thank you!

Sent from my VS840 4G using Ohub Campfire mobile app

1 - 8 of 8 Posts