Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone on the board fish this tournament?

I am throwing around the idea for 2004.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think that you will find that the Alpena tournament is one of the best on the east side. Good payout, great competetion and the folks who run it are very organized. Not to mention that there is plenty of other activities for the ' non contestants'. Concerts, good music and my personal favorite the beer tent! Im looking forward to this tounament already. One note if you are going to be needing a slip get there at least a week in advance, they go fast.
Hope that you join the fun!

·
Registered
499 Posts
You are correct Capt. Heavy, Alpena is a first class tourny, basically the Pepsi Super Tournament is the culmination of the Brown Trout festival, a 10 day event.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I've been hoping to fish a tourny or two this year. Is that an early one? If someone is looking for a good partner let me know. I'd like to have someone experienced show me the ropes the first time around.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.alpenami-browntrout.com/

This is their webpage, it still has last years dates in July.

I had some questions about the rules.

It says that you can weigh a 4 man limit, is that 20 fish?

It also says that you can only have 4 guys in your crew, is that true?

I also thought the 8 rod limit was a bit odd?

·
Team Yukon
4,904 Posts
MIke we haven't fished it for a few years, but they did away with weighing the entire catch because the weigh in took forever especially on Sunday. They dropped it down to your 5 largest fish. Did they changed the rules again? Don't remember a 8 rod rule either.....You definitely need to get a slip the week before or you'll be launching everyday. The 5 day or the "Iron Man" is also a good time.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The way they display the rules on the webpage is strange, to me anyways.

I found the part about the fish limit. The boat can keep a 4 man limit, then at the weigh-in they select their 6 biggest fish.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The rules do read kinda of weird. You can have a 4 man limit in your cooler but you must select your fish. So you need to have a scale onboard to "cull" fish. There is a 8 rod limit. The "new" rule that I heard of through the grapevine is that they are going to eliminate the use of leadcore. I guess there has been two many arguments of the water. There is always a ton of boats up by the wreck a lead core seems to bring out the worst in people. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To say there are a ton of boat at the wreck is an understatement.

No leadcore, why the heck would a tournament committee take away a legel fishing method, seem like they are just cause problems for themselves. Let the boaters deal with what they need to deal with. Does that mean I could not use the "no lead" leadcore as well?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I fish the tournament every year and it's one of my favorites. Believe it or not, the Ladies Day Tournament has more entries than the Pepsi Super and is really fun.

Anyway, with the fish limit...you basically can keep a four man limit of fish. When you go to the scale to way, you have to pick out the five fish (captains choice) you want to weigh. From there, your total weight for the day is the four largest out of the five you picked out.

As for rod limit, it was 8 last year but I'm 99% sure it's going to 9 this year. At last years captain's meeting, everyone voiced there opinion and it was heard.

Lastly, I'm almost certain they will not prohibit leadcore. Sure there are a few yelling matches but that happens everywhere (especially if you're ever around that Good News Charters :D ). As long as it's legal methods of fishing...it will be allowed.

Mrymar..fish it; you'll love it!

·
Team Yukon
4,904 Posts
Hey Chad How would you know you only fished like 4 days last year:)....lol call me tonight about this weekend....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Well you guys know how things get blown out of proportion in the fishing arena. I got that info from a member of the Alpena Walleye club. I dont recall the radio arguments being any worse than a normal day last year. Probably just a rumor. Taking away the 'core would be a tough rule to enforce. I run lead droppers off my boards on occasion. I dont know how they would be able to tell the difference. I guess wait and see.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Chad,

I thought it was 6 fish of choice with all of them being weighed and the smallest is thrown out. Giving you a total of 5 weighed fish per day. As far as "No" lead- I feel there will be more arguements if it were not allowed. There will be lots of finger pointing back at the weigh in! Better off to leave it a legal catching tactic.

Mike, you will have a great time- atleast at the beer tent.

Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mike,

If I can give you one good insight about the tournament....make sure your crew doesn't arrive to the dock at 6:05 when there's a 6:00 shotgun start (eh, Bite Me "Mr. BW Champion"...now finish my logo and planer boards).

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff,

The next time I see you. Remind me to talk about this.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Fish it Mike. It's a fun tournament. Last year was the closest finish for any tournament I've seen. 10th thru 30th were seperated by a couple pounds. It's worth it just to see the shotgun start. 100 boats lined up side by side.

If you need any on the water prop repair while you're up there in 4+ footers, Trippin' is an expert.

Get your buddy with the Grady to go. Probably the most Gradys you'll see fishing together on the great lakes. 11 or more last year?

We should use the same format for the Classic, with the beer tent and everyone together at the weigh-in.

You are limited to a 4 man crew, can fish less if you want.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am meeting Matt for lunch tomorrow. He says their Grady may be is For Sale this spring:( :(

So I may be out of the Sarnia now.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Mike & Brian,

I may be needing guys to fish tournaments (especially the early one's). And although I'm no longer a member of the Grady Team, the new boat's just as good (and much faster).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Hey Trippin' you were the guys changing props in that nasty stuff in Alpena last year? I had a few guys ask me if I knew who it was WEEKS after that happened!! If the Gradys gone whatcha driving now! Just curious.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Trippin is on his way to Simcoe (I think), so his new ride is a Scout 280 Abaco. And I can tell you with the twin 225 Yam's it is going to be (in the voice of the guys on the Dodge Hemi Commercial) "SWEEEEEET"! Looking forward to fishing it this season. As noted- all I need to do is finish his Planer Boards and Logo!

As far as the professional Prop repair- we can do it in 5 footers in 15 mph crosswinds:eek: on an outboard. To bad we couldn't get the fish to cooperate in last years BTF. What do you drive CAPT HEAVY?

Jeff- BMT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts