Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im heading up to Alpena on the 2nd and dont plan on headin back until the 9th or 10th. My friends and I have hunted a little pond the past year. I was just wondering if there is any public land in the area. I'm not looking for any hot spots just some general direction. Any info will help. I just tired lookin on line and came up with nothing. Feel free to shoot me a PM. Might also have a extra spot or two in the gator hide. 2 spots are pending.

-Justyn

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
i lived there for six months and went to the taxidermy school just off 23, and iv been going there for 15 years, camping. get a atlas book, and any of that state land has alot of pot holes... grand lake isnt that good, and usualy has a few hunters. id try fletchers, hubburd lake... even squwa bay.

·
Registered
540 Posts
google earth isn't bad either if ya know the area at all(main roads, they aren't ususally marked). it can show alot of hidden holes off the roads.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Tip for Fletchers, skip it opening weekend. I tried it one time on opening weekend many years ago and it was my first experience with what everyone calls Loaded with hunters. I swear a gunshot went off every half second all the way around the lake, seriously. I actually became a little concerned about saftey there was so many shots. My buddy stayed up there for a Monday and Tuesday after opener and did great. They got back into the back side marsh with a little draft craft and did okay on mallards, and the crowds went away.

My suggestion, float the river in public land there, or hunt your pond opening weekend then hit Fletchers on Monday. Watch out for stumps just under the water in Fletchers, it is trecherous in the dark, so don't motor very fast.

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hate to sound like a slam, but R U serious Justyn? Lots of public land in the northern lower. Finding a spot without much competition will be your issue.
I was looking online last night and couldn't find much. Guess no e-scouting :D
I dont hunt much up there. Just found out my friend has a platt book so we should be golden.

I plan on hunting the pond opening weekend then moving around during the week. I want to venture over to fletchers during the week. Cant wait! im riggin up some decoys as we speak.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I was looking online last night and couldn't find much. Guess no e-scouting :D
I dont hunt much up there. Just found out my friend has a platt book so we should be golden.

I plan on hunting the pond opening weekend then moving around during the week. I want to venture over to fletchers during the week. Cant wait! im riggin up some decoys as we speak.
The plat book is a good reference. Look at the state forest lands up there, then go on Terraserver or one of the other on-line aerial photo sites and search for water in those same areas...that's what we did years ago up in the West Branch area...amazing what you'll find if you spend time looking. We found a lot of little out of the way beaver ponds that required a lot of work to get into but produced well the first few days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts