Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at vacationing this summer in the Alpena area at Hubbard Lake, Long Lake or Grand Lake. Does anyone have any information on lodging on or around these areas, and how are these lakes for fishing? Please E-mail me back with any or all information. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
I used to live in Alpena on Grand Lake. Try this page:
http://www.wwcacbs.com/presque.html

also
http://www.travelhero.com/search.cfm/country/US/state/MI/city/ALPENA/

Fireside Inn is a cool looking cabin style place right on the lake. I've never stayed there because I lived directly across the lake from it.

Fishing is decent. There is a pike rearing marsh in the northwest corner of the lake, and tiger muskie have been planted years ago. I have caught perch, rock bass and walleye. Pike are available and maybe a few tiger muskie. Locations are tough. It seems the culture up there is pretty tight lipped. In general I think the northeast part of the lower peninsula is anti-tourism so the locals don't go out of their way to help you. Your best bet would be to try around islands, especially the archipalego of Three Sisters, Grand Island and the others. Get a map (locally available) and move amongst the islands. Max depth is 25 feet or so.

I notice on the Michigan DNR website, that in 1993 5,000 northern pike were stocked, also another 4,000 were stocked in 1994, and finally 4,500 were stocked in 1998. It looks like none were stocked in 1999, and I didn't check 1995-1997.

If I were going fishing on Grand Lake, I would target pike, panfish and largemouth. My arsenal would include spoons or live minnows with steel leaders for pike, and minnows/crawlers for panfish, and soft plastic worms for bass. Personally I would start in the islands casting around for bass, and work out into deeper water looking for pike.

·
Super Moderator
37,742 Posts
I love any of the places on Fletchers (about 30 mi. west of Alpena) Especially the one by the dam (Sportsmans Paradise?).No annoying PWC's. Lots of feisty Smallies and Pike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts