Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We hit the deep water last evening out of Gambils on a good tip from Eyepod and things were real good until about 6-7pm.The freakin wind switched to a NE blow and picked up to 4-6 ftrs fast.The damn bimini top caught wind and picked us up to 2.5 from 1.3 real quick.:rant: Then the fun began when we could no longer stand safely and just rode it out.After about an hour of that crap my buddy yells NETS!! when a damn net stake rubbed down the side of the boat and wrapped my spread right quickly.:rant: We were able to save the boards but lost some harnesses.All of them except the one I just got from Soups stash.;) We finally made it in from the nasty ride with a broken antanae and seriuos boat rash.I think ol' Soupy was both laughin his ass of and watchin over us at the same time.:D:evil: We ended up with only 7 but got some biggins and no trash.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_3847.jpg

IMG_3845.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg Sorry almost forgot the pics...was anybody else out and got hit by that wind?Just a reminder that the bay can be very unpredictable even when fair weather is on the forecast.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Glad ya made it in ok Todd. Those swells do not look like fun. Will take the bugs any day over the 5 footers. Nice pics, real cool kid too.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Justin,the bugs were out when we started but quickly disappeared :lol:.It was just a sudden slamfest with the waves.The following waves were scary as hell.Time to regroup and spend some $$:rant:.Good fish though thanks Dan.

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
:yikes: WOW THOSE WAVES LOOK NASTY BRO... GLAD YA GUYS MADE HER IN SAFELY... SOME VERY NICE FISH AS WELL; DID YOUR SON GO WITH YA? HOPE TO GET UP THAT WAY SOON.... GIVE ME A CALL SOMETIME.... MIKE

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No Mike my son wanted to go but I decided it was gonna be a late nite trip so he was to pass on this trip.Very glad cause it prolly would have ruined him for the future...if not got him hurt.I was glad to hit that rickety dock at Gambils.;) Thats a long ways out Dan to get hit by a **** storm but ur right..good fish!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
looks like a good walleye chop. I got a little chuckle out of your adventured, and Soup was probably laughing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was out of Standish sunday evening. I got a little taste of the wind switch. That NE wind was a butt kicker. I also tried to ride it out. Had the boat in neutral trolling at 2.1 - 2.3. Luckily I was somewhat protected from Pt. Augres where I didn't get the full affect of it like you guys did. Was a very wet ride in though. My father-in-law was getting P'D off due to him looking at the weather report on his phone and it had said light winds... All he kept saying was "light winds my ass". Glad you made it in safe Wacka.

·
Premium Member
29,823 Posts
I was out of Standish sunday evening. I got a little taste of the wind switch. That NE wind was a butt kicker. I also tried to ride it out. Had the boat in neutral trolling at 2.1 - 2.3. Luckily I was somewhat protected from Pt. Augres where I didn't get the full affect of it like you guys did. Was a very wet ride in though. My father-in-law was getting P'D off due to him looking at the weather report on his phone and it had said light winds... All he kept saying was "light winds my ass". Glad you made it in safe Wacka.
Gotta remember to look at the bouy's out in lake. This morning, I looked at Augres on shore current weather, and it was calm......Looked at gravely shoals, and it was S.E. at 23 kts.! Alot different on the water. I only use the forcasts as far as showing an increasing or decreasing prediction, then just study the bouy's and go from there.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Gotta remember to look at the bouy's out in lake. This morning, I looked at Augres on shore current weather, and it was calm......Looked at gravely shoals, and it was S.E. at 23 kts.! Alot different on the water. I only use the forcasts as far as showing an increasing or decreasing prediction, then just study the bouy's and go from there.

I noticed that the lighthouse is off sometimes by 10kts or more. I don't know how often they maintain the gear there, but the wind speed is way off sometimes. ;)

·
Premium Member
29,823 Posts
I noticed that the lighthouse is off sometimes by 10kts or more. I don't know how often they maintain the gear there, but the wind speed is way off sometimes. ;)
Checked bouy 1 at same time, and it said S. at 18kts. Either way, a little bumpy, but those storms coming were enough reason to stay on shore. Ended up going to Franks and spending:dizzy::lol:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Atta boy Ralph!!, That'll show them weather gods.;):lol: Did ya happen to see if they have a Shakespeare antanae for less than 20 bucks?:evil::lol:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Glad ya made it in safe! It can get nasty quick out on the pond.... nice looking fish as well!! Save some for me guys lol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Saving em for ya in my freezer Ethan.;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts