Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trolled cranks Sat. 12/19. Two males caught and one lost right after hook-up. Water temp was 32 degrees and the air was 33 when we left. Snow and cold kept almost everyone off the river. One other boat put in just ahead of us and one came in when we were leaving. It was kind of nice to have the whole place to ourselves.

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
We were downstream from you. Well downstream. Fished from 1-4 and pulled two steelies, a 9# buck and a 6# chromer hen. Put both back. Both came on tot's 40' back chugging upstream.

Only other boat we saw were some trappers. Glad to see some people still working a line.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we might try later in the day the next time. Give it time to warm up if its going to. We were there at the crack of dawn. Can you tell me where you launched from?

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
We don't usually set up until after noon. Not sure if it helps with the fishing but it makes it a lot more bearable for us. Maybe I'm getting soft.

I'm not going to talk launches. My guests understand that they don't ever talk about where we fished and if I see them out there in another boat fishing the same water (it happened) that they're off the invite list, permanently. Paranoid, probably. But that particular spot let's just say it was not coincidence.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem. I can understand not wanting to give out specifics. I am sure that with some research I can find a launch down stream, just looking for some new water. I think that later in the day might get them more active because of a slight increase in water temp. at least in the dead of winter. By the way are you the same FBD that posts in the GLA web site? We will be out Sun. not sure if St. Joe or Kazoo river gets the nod.

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
Guilty.

There's a nice launch at M-89 about 3-4 miles down from the dam. It's on the inside of a bend so you'll need waders and be willing to back way in if the water is low. Actually if it's low it's not that bad as you get to the drop off sooner; if it's high-ish I've had water against my hatch to float the boat. The launch isn't too steep but the pull out to M-89 is, so bring your salt and cat litter and shovels.

I've got a Jeep and have used 4L more than I want to think of to claw out of launches, especially once the snowmobiles get in and run around and pack stuff down.

The farther you get from the dam, the more logs you'll find. Or, the more will find you.

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
Fished up by the dam today. 1/3, two pull backs on boards and a little buck skipper off a down rod that we put back. River was 33 even and came up over a foot while we were there. Only saw one other boat and no one was getting them in the chops on the wall.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Floating spawn on the rocks at the bottom of the wall I would have to assume most of them bite;)

The top of the wall on the other hand.... well.... maybe not~

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
I pulled up to the wall and asked my friend if he wanted to touch the infamous ledge of cement, and he declined.

Rumor is they're pulling the dam at the Rabbit this summer, so the people flossing fish out of the overflow will have to find a new way to force feed....

It was explained to me by a veteran on the wall that as long as you say "right in the chops" before you flip the fish out of the net and smash it on the cement, it's OK. Backwards, sideways, upside down, they're all "right in the chops".

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
What river is the allegan dam on? I was wondering because my son said he was going to be doing the electrical on the new bubbler. Neither of us knew what river it was.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes, they do actually bite up on the wall. I have caught many fish dead sticking the calm water on the edge of the moving water with fresh skein and done very well. The other 80% fishing there, well.....lets just say there is no limit on fish, the butt is actually a mouth (didn't know that before I started fishing allegan), and the fish LOVE 6 foot leaders with yarn or a 4 ounce lead stick with two treble hooks.:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
What river is the allegan dam on? I was wondering because my son said he was going to be doing the electrical on the new bubbler. Neither of us knew what river it was.

It's on the Kalamazoo river.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm relatively new to steelheading and was wondering if there is any good wadable water on the kalamazoo. I'm not looking for specific spots or anything like that, but just wondered if theres some public access where I can wade and have a chance of landing some fish. I was planning on driving to the St. Joe, but if there's steelhead around close to home thats even better. I'm a student at WMU and plan to get out a few times over winter break. Please post here or shoot me a P.M. if you don't want the world to know. Thanks for the help, I will give a report when I get out.

·
Registered
18,300 Posts
The good news is the 'Zoo is pretty much all public land from the dam for at least 10-15 miles down.

The bad news is "shallow" in the 'Zoo is 5' and most of it's 8-10'. If you try to wade, and slip, well you're SOL.

You can do well fishing spawn in the timber on the outside of bends. Pick up a good map and look for where these can be found closer to roads.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Rumor is they're pulling the dam at the Rabbit this summer, so the people flossing fish out of the overflow will have to find a new way to force feed....

I'm pretty sure that is just a rumor and nothing more. I was at the meeting last summer about the removal and the locals did not want it removed and where very vocal about it. I say they should at least improve the ladder ( if you can call it that ) there and NOT ALLOW PEOPLE TO FISH RIGHT IN IT! Like they do now, what a complete joke that is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It may not be the best choice, but that is where I caught my 1st steelhead some 20 yrs ago. I've never been able to shake that drug. Back then we took a 4x4 down some of the 2 tracks on public land to find places to fish. The bank I had to walk down was sandy, steep and long.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems to me that you are a pretty good fisherman. Thanks for the response. I have been by that spot but wasn't sure if I could get my boat in. I have an F150 4x4 and a 18 foot jet. My buddies boat is 14 foot, probably a better choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts