Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've used popcorn with great results but when it gets wet it doesn't work so well. Used shelled corn but those darn turkeys gobble it up! Tried sugar beets once but for about a month the deer avoided them like they didn't know what it was. A buddy swears by carrots but I was just wondering if you guys had any secret bait that really draws them in.
I put out a pile of scratch feed once and I think I saw every type of wildlife in the woods. It made everything happy!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Acorns

(or a doe in heat) :evil: :evil:

Dan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Popcorn? Thats a new one for me. I'll give it a try. I've heard of people having success with peanut butter but I personally haven't tried it yet. I like to put out a little variety (carrots, corn, apples, beets) and let the deer show me what they prefer. Before anyone gets riled up yes I do stay within the limits for bait allowed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Take some big carrots(10-15 in.) and make a batter of flour, water, egg, salt, pepper and then coat the carrots very heavy. Make about 20 or so each batch.Then deep fry them until golden brown. Poke a hole through them after they have cooled and run about 15-20 ft. of fishing line through them. Go out to where your stand is and hang them from the trees around your stand. The bucks come running in very fast so be ready and get your gun up. And the good thing is they are staring up at the carrots and dont even see you in your blind so you can get an easy shot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
get a 5-gallon plastic (not aluminum or steel) bucket of very hot steam and spoon in a complete jar of JIF peanut butter (smooth, not crunchy) in the bucket. Cover top of bucket with with aluminum foil (not plastic wrap) and carry out into the field.
Once at your stand, add one package of clear gelatin to steam/peanut butter mixure and then, drop in a sindle copper penny (.01.) The penny will create a acidic reation with the steam/peanut butter and gelatin, resulting in a pronounced , sweet, aromatic cloud.

Place upwind. Works like a dream!!

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Mushy pears!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Because I've been on this site for a couple years and have come to trust you guys, I'm going to let you in on a secret. It works not only for deer, but also for fish, birds and rabbits. My brothers and I discovered this technique as teenagers and it has never failed us. Since this is the whitetail forum I'll use a deer hunting example. Simply put the arrow into the quiver, hang up your bow, pull down your zipper and answer mother nature's call and, presto!, deer will appear! It may not be 100% but it sure happens often enough to make you wonder..... ;) John-Ypsi.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I have found an empty tree stand draws em' in from everywhere! :dizzy: That's the one problem with multiple stand locations...I never pick the right one:lol:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
A bunch of smart asse?? Anyhow try this combo of what the guys before stated. Theres some truth in the statements.... even if they are being smart. :bash:

I mix corn and sunflower seeds togather in a automatic feeder. If you can get salted sunflower seeds even better. I heat annice (sp) peanut butter togather to make it soup and pour it into bowl on a rag and mix it throuly. (sp) Hang the rag from a tree where bears and varmins can't get to it and hang the feeder. The feeder only puts out a coffee can of bait a day but the smell of peanut butter and annice and corn/nut niblets keep them coming. You won't feed an army of deer however you will draw in hungry deer, receptive does and your utimate goal BUCKS. Good luck. :grouphug:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Ever tried caramel? I used to buy it in 5gal plastic pails at a place on the north edge of pinconning,deer love it! Bet it would be even better with a popcorn topping!:yikes:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Man, this stuff is likely to draw more bears than deer!! Where we hunt in Montcalm Co, we've tried about everything, and our deer prefer carrots over everything else. Unfortunately they seem to have developed exceptionally good eyes for spotting us in the trees.......:p

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Oats.

I usually bait one of my tree stands for friends that get one day a year to hunt. This same question was on my mind.
One day I placed carrots, apples, sugerbeets, cob corn, shelled corn, pears and a pile of oats on the pile (before the law on baiting changed). The first thing gone was the oats. Nuf said.

·
Administrator
17,552 Posts
I have found that that the sounds women create while making love really attract the deer! Careful though, if you are shall we say a bit over zealous, the coyotes will come running in! In any case, take your ladies with you and give it a try! If it doesn't attract deer every day would you even care?? :evil:
<----<<<

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Joe Archer said:
I have found that that the sounds women create while making love really attract the deer! Careful though, if you are shall we say a bit over zealous, the coyotes will come running in! In any case, take your ladies with you and give it a try! If it doesn't attract deer every day would you even care?? :evil:
<----<<<
IN A TREESTAND??....................:lol: :yikes:

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Thunderhead said:
Sharp cheddar cheese smothered in A-1 sauce.
What the heck are we doin'? Hunting deer or makin' nachos?.............:lol:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.