Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know there have been like 10 threads on braid in the past month so instead i finding one i decided to make a new one....

i caught a pike this last weekend and the bait was all the way down past his gills (was released fine) and i didnt have a leader... I was using 14# Stren Superbraid and it didnt even fray... I am a firm believer in that stuff... oh and i faught the fish for about 2mins.
pretty impressive if you ask me

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Ask SFW1960 about pike and braid. He had a pike snatch his $9 X-Rap that he was fishing on I believe 30 lb braid. He barely felt the strike. Trust me... braid is no match for a pike's teeth. I believe you simply got lucky.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm a big braid fan. Big time.

HOWEVER...> This is my understanding......

With a pike, it's not the teeth that cut the line, it's the gill plates. They come down over the line and saw on it like a knife would. Because a braided line in't any harder or more resistant to that type of action than anything else, it doesn't really protect against the line being cut.

With a wire leader, you are using a material that is harder and therefore less likely to be cut or worn on by a gill plate. That is why they are suggested for use with pike.

That being said, it is generally agreed upon that you will (likely) get more hits on Mono > Braid > Wire leader. Not always, but that is the popular opinion. The problem is that this order is also the most likely to cut/break to the least likely.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
While the gill plates I'm sure play a factor into the "cutting" of your line, don't believe for a minute that the teeth of a fish are not the most important item in damaging the line. The line ripping across the teeth as a fish thrashes about is where the breaking occurs for the most part. Picture the tips of the teeth slashing at the line as it is being pulled across the mouth of a fish as it fights.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It's not the tips of the teeth that cut the line. Pike teeth are like knives. They're very sharp along the edges and that's where the breakage occurs. Walleye teeth are sharp, but they're cone shaped which is why they don't break your line.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
We used Braids almost exclusivly when we lived in Florida. They do take some abuse. Especialy the 50 # or bigger stuff for punchin grass matts. I can tell ya that it dosen't stand up to a gator when he snatches in your 6+ pound LM:lol:

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
How exactly would a Pike cut a line with their gill plates? They usually are hooked inside the mouth, and if you keep the line taught, it never comes anywhere near the gill plates. Also, is is the back edge of the gill plates - where they close to cover the gills, that is sharp.

I tried Braid for Steelhead many years ago, and hated it. It seemed to get wrapped around my tip-top guide alot, and caused more problems than it was worth. However, I went Walleye jigging @ the Detroit River last weekend, and became a believer in Braided line for that application. I'll be matching up some braid with a new short stiff rod, and new reel pretty quickly. Man it was a blast jigging up those eyes - and everyone seemed to be getting limits. It was stupid fishing.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,449 Posts
%^$^@%^%#[email protected] !!!
:rant::rant::rant::rant:
$9 #12 X-Rap...G00LP!!

PINGGG!!

How about that spool of #40 Mikey - we still up for a trade for some #14???

I been "Piked Off!"

:evilsmile :evilsmile

RAS

·
Super Moderator
16,449 Posts
Hey at least my SNAP held up , right Mike???
:SHOCKED:
After that one northern bashed his head on your gunnel , he sure left town with your HJ at light speed!!!!
:yikes:
:lol:

:lol:

·
Registered
642 Posts
waterfoul said:
He barely felt the strike.
I've had that happen with a pike on braid about 7 years ago, then I learned how to tie a uni-knot.

We don't use steel leaders, and we haven't broken a pike off in seven years. When I start getting break-offs, then I'll start using leaders.

·
Super Moderator
16,449 Posts
You don't understand J-Rod.
It wasn't my knot (which was a Palomar FWIW) , on the hookset the line SHREDDED. I got maybe an eighth of a reel crank off & the line parted and the last inch & a half to inch & three-quarters was shredded wheat. This was a GATOR and he comepletly ATE a 3/4 crank.
5-6 min. prior Mike & I were having the converstion that they would or wouldn't bite ya off...

THEY WILL.:SHOCKED:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts