Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own 2 quads. One is a yamaha big bear 400 4x4 that I use for plowing the drive, ice fihing, and hunting. The other is a recently rebuilt 1987 honda trx250r go fast quad that I use for trails and basically all of my summer riding. I am wondering if their exists a quad that can fill both bills adequately. I understand that this quad would not do either job perfectly but I would really like to go down to a single quad. Here is what I am looking for out of an all around quad:

-Summer ride= I would like it to be fast, with good top end speed and good acceleration. It also needs to get through the corners well with good cornering and handling characteristics. Don't want a real wide quad that is not gonna fit through the trails well either.

-Winter ride= I need 4 wheel drive so I can plow the drive way and get through the snow when I am pulling my shanty. I have a small residential drive way so I am pretty sure anything with 4 wheel drive will do. I would also like utility racks.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
The only thing I can come up with is a Yamaha Woverine. It was basically a 4x4 Warrior. Granted the wolverine will not be nearly as fast as your 250R.

Basically your looking for two different types of riding which requires two different atv's.

·
Registered
681 Posts
i know what your saying on wanting an all around quad, my search for me ended up that i had to go with a wolverine or the can am renegade. renegade was to big for my style and i didnt think the wolverine or the renegade would hold up to many feestyle ramp hits so, i stuck with what i had in the long run. i dont know how stock or modified your 250r is but it will be hard to find anything that is 4 wheel drive and handles like the 250r. if you sold both machines and just picked up 1 new quad to fit the bill, i think you will your style of riding will change. you wouldnt be blastin the trails on a 4x4 like you did with the 250r, and you will find that you are more exhausted after a days ride from the extra wieght of the 4x4. keep the 250r and sell your 4x4, get a newer 4x4 and if it seems like an all around quad for you and is fine on the trails, then sell the 250r and modify the 4x4 with the $$ from the sale. im partial to the 250r/330r. dont think i could find a reason to part with mine

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have to many mods on the 250r. I bought it last year and undid most of the stuff that was done to it to take it back to as close to stock as possible. It does have a big bore kit on it and is using a 1996 cr250 piston but other than that it is stock. I completely realize that I am not gonna have the speed and maneauvarability that I am used to with this quad but I was just hoping to find a 4 stroke 4x4 that was fast enough and still fun to ride. I really only hit the trails a half dozen times or so in the summer and mainly use quads during the fall and winter for hunting and fishing. I was hoping the big bear would have fit that bill but I guess I should have taken it for a test drive first. She has plenty of torque and power but accelerates like a turtle and handles like an elephant. Thanks for the input and sweet lookin R!

·
Registered
681 Posts
the biggest problem i have with the 4x4's are they are 250+lbs more than the r. when i try to ride themthe way they werent intended for(fast on trails and jumping) it makes me realize my need for th sport quad. now the wolvberine is a nimble machine for being 4x4, but with its sport style suspension you do lose payload and capacity compared to a grizz or polaris. 1 thing is its cheaper to get what you need/want then to highly modify to get there. what i mean by that is if a 450 dont have the grunt you need, then its cheaper to get a 600+ than to buy a big bore for a 450. you might be able to get away with a 600+cc utility 4x4 and just adapt your trail riding to a more casual pace. you will probably find more uses for a utility type 4x4 than you can think of.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
There are options!!
First, The kawaski Brute Force 650 SRA. It's fast, faster than most big bore utlity quads minus the Can Ams, BF 750 etc. It's light for a big utitlity quad....lighter in fact than most mid size quads and about 180 pound lighter than the Pig I mean Polaris 800. The SRA is straight rear axle...doesn't ride soft like an independant, but corners and handles fast trails better than the others in it's class. The motor is dead reliable and strong, plus it has aftermarket support than many motors only dream of. Has all the features serious riders need...seperate brake controls, full locker, engine braking, reverse lock out, back up pull starter.

Second, the Kaw Brute Force 750...independant suspension and a bad ass motor. It's also the lightest in it's class.

Third, the Can Am Outlander 650 or 800.....each are the fasted in it's class. It's 4x4 system leaves a bit to be desired but it works.

Fourth, the Can Am Renegade 500 or 800. This is a 4x4 sport quad with attitude. Very fast...the 800 is damn near race sport quad fast....but it is heavier ofcourse. Doesn't have racks so some versatility is lost. Plowing? maybe, maybe but not sure if any factory mounts for a plow are available for this one.

Fifth, the Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000...950cc...the biggest of the big right now. Very fast, but heavy and longer since it has an extended wheel base. Probably at the upper limit of useable power since it is heavy as well. Heavy quads at fast speeds are not for the faint of heart...they handle well, but not sport quad well.

6th, the Yamaha Grizzly 700 with power steering. This quad is compact for a big bore utility and pretty light...nice on the trail. The 700 motor is no monster that is for sure, but is still strong and very reliable. Aftermarket support is good if you want to kick it up a notch. This quad would actually be my next choice after the Brute Force line up. I'd take it over the Can Ams or the AC.

Seventh, finally the Suzuki KQ 750. The motor is strong but not scary. The quad handles well and has all the necessary features.

There really aren't anything but utility quads out there to fit your needs. That little Yamaha Wolverine 4x4 sport quad is nice, but it's an absolute dog in the power dept. and you'd get bored almost immediately. It moves ok, but there is no rush of power when you stab the throttle. Stab the throttle on the Brute Forces or the Can Ams and you will be grinning from ear to ear, I guarantee! They may not be sport quad or Yamaha Raptor 700 fast, but they are the next best thing if versatility is a priority.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Check the new 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550FI...........WOW......WOW.......WOW..did I say wow, fuel injected, power steering, IRS, true engine braking, best four wheel drive system on the market and the list goes on and on and on........

Puts my new 450 Grizzly to shame is all I can say, sure wish I would have waited..............

The only problem I see is that it will really cut into their big bore 700 quad sales.............

Just read two different road tests in two different magazines on this quad.......made I'm itching for one of these bad boys.............

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Check the new 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550FI...........WOW......WOW.......WOW..did I say wow, fuel injected, power steering, IRS, true engine braking, best four wheel drive system on the market and the list goes on and on and on........

Puts my new 450 Grizzly to shame is all I can say, sure wish I would have waited..............

The only problem I see is that it will really cut into their big bore 700 quad sales.............

Just read two different road tests in two different magazines on this quad.......made I'm itching for one of these bad boys.............

Yep, looks to be a nice rig! Should dominate the mid size class. Only negative is that it is pricey for a mid bore, but that won't stop it from selling! From what I've read, power is strong, about the same as the 700 on top and just a little less on the bottom. With Power steering it's the same price as the non power steering 700. So one as a choice; a little more engine, or easier steering? Not a bad option to have really.
I would like to see them update the power on the big Grizz....sure it's coming at some point.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No brainer.....for best of both worlds get the Renegade 500 or 800. You can put a plow on it for snow and you can add a rear rack if you really need to. No other quad will compare if you are looking for a combination of sport/4x4 ute.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did a little research on the canam renegade and outlander. Here is a link to a comparison page, it appears to me they are identical in specifications except slightly different front suspension, and cosmetic stuff. Do these have the same gear ratios and therefore the same acceleration and top speed? If that is the case then the outlander may be the way to go. Would have to decide on which engine though.

http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/models/compare-models.htm

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I'd get the Renegade 800 X....bad in black....looks even faster! Only $10,500! Add another $800 for a set or rims and tires for snow...those ITP Holeshots will work, but not nearly good enough to use all that power in the snow. Add another $500 for a good winch and mount, and another $500 for a plow and mount if they are available (if not, sure one could be fabbed). With taxes and all, you'd be pushing $13,000. Expensive? Yes, but you'll have the versatility of almost two quads.

Or you get the regular Outlander 800XT for $9500 that already comes with a winch, but you'll still want better tires for the snow, and you'll still need a plow. But, the Outlander 800XT will end up about $1500 cheaper and be just as fast. (the outy is a little heavier though so not quit as fast, but still fast.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts