Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys--I'm camping with the family this weekend at Algonac State Park. It's my first time there, and we're not bringing the boat. Just wondering if it would be worth bringing a pole or two along, to fish from shore...
If you think it is worthwhile, could you also recommend what might be a good working program lately--I don't want to have to bring along the whole tackle box. I usually target walleye and perch, but any species would be welcome this weekend (catch and release).
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

·
Administrator
26,685 Posts
Theres a good amt. of river right across the street from the park. I've heard anything from sturgeon to perch to walleyes and smallmouths are caught there. And also the boardwalk in town.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Bringing poles will positivily be benificial for ya, expecially if you like walleyes!!!!:D If you inteested in specific spots and ways to rig, send me a pm, cause I'm too tired to type it all out right now!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It is pretty shallow for quite a ways out from shore at the state park. The best fishing would probably be from the boardwalk in downtown Algonac at dark. Small countdown rapalas or jig and twister tails should work for walleyes. Cast and retrieve or troll by walking the lures along the wall in the shadow. Set lines with minnows or worms work well. Crawler harness on a 3way rig, 4 oz weight and 3 to 4 ft lead. Problem with worm fishing is the gobies, but they do catch a sturgeon there now and again. Sheephead sometimes too. Maybe catfish. A couple of 6 to 7 ft medium action rods spooled with 10 lb test should be all you need with a few jigs and a crawler harness or two, some two to four oz weights. The river is a mess during the day on the weekends, so unless you have a large boat it is best to leave it at home anyways. Most weekends we have to be off the river early to avoid being run over by a 40 footer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts