Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how the algae is looking around ssp and breast Bay Area? I'd like to get out there this weekend. I've been watching the satellite images but you can't really see breast bay cause of the clouds. It looked kinda like it was moving south but I couldn't tell for sure.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Algae was very stirred up in the water column pretty dirty with a lot of floating weeds today. Had to check cranks often but was still able to pull 6 eyes but only two legal.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It was green but not as bad as last year by far. We managed 81 keeper perch with just as many through backs in 24 foot of water. This was on Saturday though. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
does anyone know how the algae is looking around ssp and breast Bay Area? I'd like to get out there this weekend. I've been watching the satellite images but you can't really see breast bay cause of the clouds. It looked kinda like it was moving south but I couldn't tell for sure.

It's still there. We have another good month of it yet at least. It's the worse I have seen it this year. Was out over ten miles towards Canadian line and it was thick where in past years was clear. Sputnik are also was a mess last wed.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
This is and incredible betrayal of the public trust.What are we paying the DNR/EPA people for? There is no way, no how that this should be allowed to happen!

·
Registered
8,165 Posts
This is and incredible betrayal of the public trust.What are we paying the DNR/EPA people for? There is no way, no how that this should be allowed to happen!
I hear ya but its the great lakes...people just dont care for whatever reason, from invasives to algea.

·
Premium Member
29,951 Posts
How does that algea effect your motor? And does it effect the perch bite? Thinking of running down for the weekend. Anyone who can help, pms welcome. Never fished Erie other than once on ice last year out of Ohio. Thanks for any info on tactics, baits and location:)

·
Super Moderator
37,288 Posts
If you're just going for a weekend, I'd say likely zero effect on your motor as long as you flush it when you get home. But, I don't have first hand experience with the real thick algae.

Baits... shiners. Sometimes they want heads, sometimes whole, sometimes lying on bottom, sometimes up off bottom a few inches. They seem to like pounding bottom with the sinker from time to time to stir up silt.

Haven't been out this year so I can't comment on best location. Brest bay should produce some though. I usually stay 10-15 min at a spot without a bite before moving on.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Agreed, but from what I understand, much of the nutrients that cause this come from Agricultural runoff--- the Farm Lobby is MUCH more powerful than the Sportfishing lobby in congress. Pretty sure the DNR/EPA probably have their hands tied to some extent because of this..... But you are SPOT ON--very sad this has been allowed to happen.

·
Super Moderator
37,288 Posts
Its pretty much green water in summer or lost crop harvest volume. Yes, most of it is from fertilizer washed into the rivers and lakes.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oh God, don't get the EPA involved - they'll just turn the lake orange like the river in Colorado!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Its pretty much green water in summer or lost crop harvest volume. Yes, most of it is from fertilizer washed into the rivers and lakes.
I do not believe at all that it is an either/or proposition. What I do believe is that people are not doing their jobs and protecting our most precious resource. If this is allowed to continue then where does it end? Is this much algae allowable? If this is OK-then what about a little more...or a little more? If the farmers are allowed to pollute the water, then why can't other industries or cities? Why should the farmers have the economic benefit by being able to use the lake as their cesspool? If they can, then everyone can.........

As you can probably tell, I get really worked up over this. Maybe because as a kid 50 years ago, I remember vividly the beaches being closed because of the grotesque 2 foot thick white/brown foam totally covering the lake for as far out as I could see at Conneaut Beach. I remember the shoreline being covered with piles of stinking rotting fish. I remember the trash, the garbage, the flies. I remember that a great year on the lake was catching 16 walleyes-and only keeping 10 because the other 6 were covered with bumps and open sores. I remember this because I was horrified by it. I was proud of how the lake cleaned up. Proud to be an Ohioan, and now a Michigander. But now, I feel violated, ashamed and disappointed.

This really pi$$es me off.

Jim

·
Registered
431 Posts
The bottom line here in my opinion is that all of us on this site need to be writing, emailing, calling our elected officials. If we all sit around we can all complain but nothing gets done. I think we should all call the big news stations too and let's see if they put some pressure on the issue. It is everyone's lake on this forum so we should take care of it. We are blessed to have these Great Lakes should fight for their preservation.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
The bottom line here in my opinion is that all of us on this site need to be writing, emailing, calling our elected officials. If we all sit around we can all complain but nothing gets done. I think we should all call the big news stations too and let's see if they put some pressure on the issue. It is everyone's lake on this forum so we should take care of it. We are blessed to have these Great Lakes should fight for their preservation.
I agree. I have e-mailed Kasich (ohio governor), Snyder, Lydia Lohrer (Detroit News Outdoor columnist), D'arcey Egan (Cleveland plain Dealer columnist) and all of the OH and MI senators.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts