Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canada-bound U.S. anglers will need boater safety certificate

Anglers who are planning to go to Canada to fish will need a boating safety certificate to operate even a small outboard come 2009.
That requirement -- the last of a three-phase change in Canadian boating laws -- is designed to improve boater competency on Canadian waters. But it also has some remote fly-in fishing operators concerned.

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/grpress/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1080386309318570.xml

·
Registered
480 Posts
Must be part of the same bunch as the Canadian Customs officers, the "Border Nazis". ;)

There should be a big sign at the border going into Canada, "Leave your money here, turn around and go home!!!!!!"

Their overregulation is convincing our group to look at far northern areas of Wisconsin and Minnesota to replace Northwestern Ontario as our destination of choice for our annual 7-10 day fishing and camping trip. We regret what the bureaucrats in Ottawa are doing to the people in the bush trying to make a living, but it's getting to be too much of a hassle just to keep up with and comply with the government's bulls#!t rules and regulations. Maybe if enough of us stay home (along with our money) for a few years, they will rethink some of that ridiculous crap before it's too late.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
I'm just not going as much as I use to. I got a license this year but the last time was in 2000. I just can't seem to stay away. They didn't get any money from me for 3 years.

·
Registered
11,794 Posts
Last we year I took my boys on to NW Canada for a fishing trip . This was a trip my dad had taken me on for the first time 30 years ago. We have done it off and on since then. My dad still does it every year. Last year was the first for me in three years.

When we got up there, we found out they required a bunch of stuff to be in your boat or you were ticketed. You had to have a whistle, 50' floating rope a coupple of floating flashlites and a bailing bucket. Now we are in the middle of no where and there was a store who basically had everyone by the you know whats. So they made out real well on this package.

They also made the area we fished a slot limit area for walleye. I am not exactly sure what it was. I think you could not keep anything from 16-22". You were allowed one over 22". The 16-22" is what we always went up there for. They were the best eaters and more abundant. It was tough for my 8 year old to throw back so many nice eaters. We decided not to bring any fish home. I believe they just want all there lakes to be catch and release. We caught enough to eat and had fun. So I look at it as just a good trip and I am not counting on bring back any fish from now on. They asked us at the border last year if we had fish. We did not, so they let us through. Everyone else who had fish was inspected. They had enough officers on hand you would have thought they were looking for bombs. I guess my dad said it added another 1/2 hour to his return trip.

My youngest son really wants to go back this year. So I will be going again but, I hope to find some place South of the border to fish in the future. Ontario is the worst of all the provinces. I think if you asked anyone from the Western provinces about succeeding from Ontario, they would jump on it.

Ontario could care less if any Americans come over there anymore.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts