Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Family and I are heading up to our camper at the county park for a long weekend. Haven't had a chance to fish it yet this year and its been probly 5 years since I've fished it last. Just wondering if anybody has any reports or tips. My 10 year old son will be with me and hes really been itching to take the boat up, he's tired of fishing from shore lol. Thanks for any tips!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Havent fished there in ten or fifteen years but when we did it was for pike and did ok. Used daredevils and mepps spinners for pike.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I always do well for pike and some nice size bass on spinners. The typical set up seems to work, brass and silver blades. Or painted blades on darker days.

·
Registered
136 Posts
We just camped on the other side of the dam. Fished Cooke pond for a few days. Our best time was in the shallows under the dam. A topwater frog brought in largemouth and pike by the dozens.

Earlier we casted along the drops with just about everything else in the box. We did well there too.

The best time came from the topwater action.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have one of the seasonal lots there, so I'm up there about 15 times a year. Fishing overall has been pretty good this year but was poor this past week. We were up early before the 4th of July crowd got there and didn't do very well. Best action we saw was trolling crawler harnesses, caught some walleye and pike.
Quick word of advice if you don't know the lake well is to make sure you go slow anywhere you see stumps poking out of the water because there are many barely submerged close by. The majority of the lake is clear though. I've seen many a weekend boater up there run a motor/boat into a stump. Don't be scared to troll in there though I've had a lot of luck trolling for walleyes in those areas
Good Luck!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. We have a seasonal spot there also. I used to fish it a lot and have done well for pike and smallmouth but its been a few years since I've fished it last. My son and I only had a few hours to fish it this last weekend due to other plans while we were up there. I lost a nice pike at the boat saturday morning. Thats the only fish we had on this weekend. Hopefully next time up we'll have more time to fish.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
So I'm headed up next weekend for a fall camping trip with my in-laws. Same question applies - and additional question - how'd you do? What can I expect to find when we get there? Not looking for secret spots - just looking for some generalities.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Best pattern I found was for bass and pike. Rebel pop R's in 5-8' of water before the sun comes over the trees and after the sun goes behind the trees. Overcast days were good for top water too. Just find the big flats with good weeds. Just a tip, if you wanna catch bass don't use leaders. You will lose a few lures to pike but if you want bass it's the chance you gotta take.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts