Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a big state and there is a lot to know! Not to mention plenty of information available. I am currently working through plans for a trip to AK this summer with my brother. Just reading old posts on this site it's clear there are a ton of different options and opinions on where and what to do. Looking for some recommendations on watersheds to target and timing.

Flying into Anchorage most likely and would be fly fishing exclusively. Fishing is the priority, but hiking to get away from crowds would kill two birds. My partner backpacks regularly so overnight trips would be great.

Target species would be rainbow, dollies, grayling, and potentially Arctic Char? Not sure if there are any in the southern drainages. Landing any (or all 😉) species of salmon would be great, but would be a secondary priority.

We are playing with the idea of a primarily DIY trip with a few fly out / guided days mixed in. Most of my research has been along the Denali Hwy and the Kenai Peninsula. I am sure we will have company anywhere we go, but figured you guys could steer me straight, set expectations, and even provide a few helpful hints! Sounds like lodging and vehicle rental can be a pain.

Ultimately what experience would I be greatly impoverished for having missed while on my trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If you are serious about your trip, then you need to start reserving rentals and rooms NOW. These things fill up fast, most people have their rentals and rooms booked a year ahead. I've been up there 2 times, both to the Kenai Peninsula area and will be going back soon. One thing that will help you is getting an "area" chamber of commerce travel guide. In those you'll find places to stay, hours being open, places to eat, tackle stores, etc. If you plan on fising for Kings, don't forget the King Salmon stamp. Also be very aware of the openings and closures of certain rivers, bait or non bait water, and any emergency river closings. Good luck and its a trip that you'll never forget!

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
It's a big state and there is a lot to know! Not to mention plenty of information available. I am currently working through plans for a trip to AK this summer with my brother. Just reading old posts on this site it's clear there are a ton of different options and opinions on where and what to do. Looking for some recommendations on watersheds to target and timing.

Flying into Anchorage most likely and would be fly fishing exclusively. Fishing is the priority, but hiking to get away from crowds would kill two birds. My partner backpacks regularly so overnight trips would be great.

Target species would be rainbow, dollies, grayling, and potentially Arctic Char? Not sure if there are any in the southern drainages. Landing any (or all ��) species of salmon would be great, but would be a secondary priority.

We are playing with the idea of a primarily DIY trip with a few fly out / guided days mixed in. Most of my research has been along the Denali Hwy and the Kenai Peninsula. I am sure we will have company anywhere we go, but figured you guys could steer me straight, set expectations, and even provide a few helpful hints! Sounds like lodging and vehicle rental can be a pain.

Ultimately what experience would I be greatly impoverished for having missed while on my trip?

You could stay busy for a month on the Kenai Penn and not do the same thing twice......first thing, if you are wanting to keep it cheap, don't rent a car, rent a U-Hual, buy a barbecue grill and groceries......haul your gear and sleep in the back......sent you a PM.....and plan your trip for late July.

·
Registered
950 Posts
You could stay busy for a month on the Kenai Penn and not do the same thing twice......first thing, if you are wanting to keep it cheap, don't rent a car, rent a U-Hual, buy a barbecue grill and groceries......haul your gear and sleep in the back......sent you a PM.....and plan your trip for late July.

Good tip!

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
One area that gets overlooked that has a lot to offer, and gets you away from the mobs is the interior.The gulkana river in the middle of june near Glen allen is awesome for kings, rainbow fishing is good as well as grayling. During the same time frame you can drive over to the klutina for some spectacular sockeye fishing or whitewater rafting, and enjoy 80-90 degree sunshine Take a ride to valdez for some deep sea fishing for salmon and halibut.Do some exploring along the edgarton highway. Head up to paxson and go west on the denali highways, awesome grayling fishing if you are willing to hike in a little. You can hike into some of the lakes or rent a canoe and paddle the upper and lower tangle lakes, there are a couple tribs that flow into it that offer some out of the way fantastic grayling fishing. take a ride to denali, head down the petersville rd and check out the local atmosphere in stead of the princes tourism side of Alaska. Lots and lots of wonderful options that get you away from the crowds.
I rented a minivan once and the dealer took the back seats out and I slept in the back on an airmattress for a week, for less than 50.00 a day i had a place to stay and transportation.
Edit:Another great trip is the dalton hwy. Fly into fairbanks, rent a specialy outfitted car for the road, and do some road side camping. I cant remember the name of the outfit now but do a search im pretty sure they still do car rentals for the road. For spectacular scenery, outstanding roadside grayling fishing,and wilderness experience it cant be beat. No salmon or rainbows but depending on time of year you can catch Arctic char in the sag as well as hike into some real nice remote streams in the arctic for trophy grayling. I'd do this trip in first week - mid August.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
Another good destination is Talkeetna
Fly into Anchorage and take the train to talkeetna. If the weather is nice the great one will be out in all its splendor. We took a flight seeing trip one beautiful bluebird day and flew right up next to her. Talk about awesome. You could hire a boat to drop you at clear creek. You can camp out there on the higher ground.In middle to late august the silvers and chum choke the stream. Its gets crowded during the day there but you can hike up stream for bows and grayling and be all by yourself. At the end of the day most of the people are gone at the mouth so you can catch salmon till you drop, all by your lonesome. The taxi boats come everyday and your taxi can take your daily salmon catch back with them and freeze it for you. Spend a week or a few days there. If you get tired of there hop on the flag stop train in talkeetna. You can get off the train north of Talkeetna in the middle of the wilderness any where you like, and then flag it down and get back on. No crowds there man and if you hit the right trib that flows into the susitna you have it made as far as great fishing, wilderness and no crowds. Then just hop back on the train to Anchorage. Youll see bear moose and denali on that trip, and best of all, little to no crowds.
Shoot me a pm, i have some spots i would share.
Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Never made it to Talkeetna, but did make it just west of there on Peters Creek, back when the Forks Road Tavern was there.....what a loss that was. Did some Great Rainbow and Grayling fishing out that way. We spent days fishing the river and never saw another fisherman.

Also enjoyed hitting several of the clear streams between Anchorage and the Peters Creek area.

Alright Badercmu.....where you at, lets get busy.....when are you talking about going, how many days, what kind of budget you looking at, how many guys.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
Never made it to Talkeetna, but did make it just west of there on Peters Creek, back when the Forks Road Tavern was there.....what a loss that was. Did some Great Rainbow and Grayling fishing out that way. We spent days fishing the river and never saw another fisherman.

Also enjoyed hitting several of the clear streams between Anchorage and the Peters Creek area.

Alright Badercmu.....where you at, lets get busy.....when are you talking about going, how many days, what kind of budget you looking at, how many guys.
I use to live off the petersville rd @ mile 10, i fished just about every waterway up there. You can be all by youself and have excellent fishing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys this is all great information.

Brushbuster - I'm glad you mentioned Clear Creek. This was on my hit list. I found info on clear creek trail and getting dropped by the train, but didn't realize you could take boats up to the mouth and get dropped off.

In general it sounds like Kings and Reds are the biggest draw. I was considering a mid August trip thinking the silvers would be around. Targeting $1500-$2000 on budget.

Any addition recommendations on species or watersheds to swing a Spey rod on? I'm guessing I could do it on any of the aforementioned streams. Can I target silvers on the swing?

Thanks again for the info. I am still doing research on several of the locations above. Love the Uhaul idea. Genius!

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
Everytime someone talks about Alaska, I really get the itch. What are you finding for airfare prices?
Clear creek will get crowded at the mouth but you could swing a spey when the brunt of the crowds leave. The further up you go the tighter it gets. You could swing a spey on montana creek just up from the yoder rd bridge. BTW it's another good trout fishery. You cant salmon fish up that far so the crowds diminish. The water is wide in many places. I love that portion of Montana creek. You can for walk for miles upstream. My dad landed a nice 28 inch bow way up stream.
You could easily get away with a $1500 trip.It depends on how many accomodations your willing to part with. But if you want to experience a wilderness fishing trip and see some of real Alaska, no problem.
Now you got me thinking about hitting the indian and hiking into portage creek from the railroad. If you did a trip like that, the price of addmission would be airfare train fare and a fishing licence. All easily done for under 1500 bucks, you could even throw in a boat taxi to clear creek. The silvers and chum will be there mid August and the trout will be there eating their eggs and flesh.
Edit: beware of bears though bro. Lots of em. Camp smart. No food at all in tents I even cook and eat way away from camp. Make noise when walking through the alders and willows. Give em plenty of room when fishing. Keep all your fishing gear away from the tent. I have been going to Alaska since 1978 and have never had an issue with bears. I have been up close to them but never a problem.

·
Premium Member
9,594 Posts
Guys this is all great information.

Brushbuster - I'm glad you mentioned Clear Creek. This was on my hit list. I found info on clear creek trail and getting dropped by the train, but didn't realize you could take boats up to the mouth and get dropped off.

In general it sounds like Kings and Reds are the biggest draw. I was considering a mid August trip thinking the silvers would be around. Targeting $1500-$2000 on budget.

Any addition recommendations on species or watersheds to swing a Spey rod on? I'm guessing I could do it on any of the aforementioned streams. Can I target silvers on the swing?

Thanks again for the info. I am still doing research on several of the locations above. Love the Uhaul idea. Genius!

Have done trips in both July and August.....Silvers were fun, did a two day canoe trip on Swanson Creek......if I had to pick I would definitely go with July..........pinks in the rivers so thick you can hardly miss them and Reds are the best tasting Salmon I have ever had......you can hit a few streams and target Rainbows, but there will be kings there.

The best investment you can make right now is the mile post....PM me an address and I will send you mine...it is a few years old, but still good, just sent it back when you are done.

Also join this website.....plenty of guys there will give you good info, also search reports form the applicable months for the year before...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Check this website and call the owner of Alaska Boat and Canoe, owner is Max, great guy, tons of info and great at helping put stuff together, really great.

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/rafting.html

If you are going to fly on the Kenai Penn, these are great people, ask for Sharon, not only great for flying, but she fishes as well and is a great person.

http://www.alaskabearviewing.us/

With your budget you can really live it up......leave Anchorage and catch early Silvers in Bird Creek, hit Resurrection Creek for Pinks, Quartz for Rainbows and Dollies, hike into Crescent Lake for Grayling.....Fly into the Upper Russian and spend a couple days hiking out and catching Rainbows along the way.....hit the Homer Spit and cast into the ocean for Salmon, Halibut, Cod and whatever hits right off the spit.......I have a contact you can rent rafts from and do your own drift and catch reds and rainbows on a drift between Skilak Lake and Bings Landing......then rent a drift boat and fish Rainbows on the Upper Kenai, White Water Raft on 6 mile creek.......have done a 9 day, 11 day and 14 day trip......if you can do 14, do 14......don't pack too heavy and don't worry about showers....the laundry mats have showers................but you do need to start pretty quick....you will need to make reservations for camping and if you are going to fly into the Upper Russian you set that up soon, as well as reserve rafts, drift boats or whatever....

Best way to make this affordable......is 4 guys......flight into the Upper Russian is 650, there is a cabin on the Upper Russian that is 35 a night, one midway down, 35 dollars.

Two day rental on the rafts and spotting for two rafts would be about 200 dollars......we even rented a river boat on the 2009 trip.

Rent a U-Haul van for two weeks....is about a 500 mile trip around the Kenai Penn and back....you looking at about 350 dollars....haul you gear, but a tarp or bring a tent.

Done right, including your flight, two incredible weeks in Alaska.....1400 dollars each, if there is four, bumps up to under 1900 if there is two.

Wish I was going again, but we are doing Oregon this spring, Oversized Sturgeon, the ocean for surf perch and cod, then bouncing around the interior looking for Bull Trout and Red Band Trout for a week.....renting a 31 foot motorhome, 7 guys going, flight, charter, motorhome and such, running around 800 a piece..................now get busy:D

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
Are you counting airfare in your budget? I know some guys have enough airmiles to cover air fare.

·
Premium Member
7,037 Posts

Target species would be rainbow, dollies, grayling, and potentially Arctic Char? Not sure if there are any in the southern drainages. Landing any (or all 😉) species of salmon would be great, but would be a secondary priority.

I've been 8 times. 5 road trip. 3 fly ins here www.naknekrivercamp.com

My 9th will be this summer with www.goodnewsriver.com

I have a dozen albums of my Alaska trips on my Facebook page which you can find by finding and friending Paul Shibley

My favorite time to go is late August. Colors are starting to change. Rainbow fishing is really good.

If you want to fish, I'd stay near Cooper Landing half the trip and Talkeetna half the trip. It's a long ass drive to get to the Denali Highway and you can catch grayling near Talkeetna

The only disappointing part of a road accessible trip is you won't see a lot of, if any, bears.

www.pmlodge.com is hosting a week at Naknek River Camp. It's an insanely good deal and you will see more bears there than almost anywhere in AK

I just did a road trip this summer. Anchorage to Valdez, Valdez 2 nights, long ass drive Valdez to Cantwell, day trip into Denali (the best) and 3 days hanging out/fishing with my nephew, dad and brother in Talkeetna.

We did the Devil's Canyon boat tour which was cool. Talkeetna is one of the world's best drinking towns.

Personally, I'd go to Naknek. You'll pay a thousand dollars more each but you'll have the best fly fishing of your lives.

Lastly, www.alaskaairlines.com has a credit card deal. Will get you all the way to most of the fishing outpost towns for free. The annual fee on the card is $75 and you can cancel as soon as you use your points

I've had the best luck with Thrifty car rentals at the ANC airport my last 5 trips.

Anchorage has a cool street market in Saturdays and downtown Anchorsge is cool.

Have a great trip. My email is [email protected] if you have questions.

Denali Fireside Cabins in Talkeetna are spotless and an easy stumble from the bar but you need a headlight if there's no moon.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I made my first Alaska trip last summer, and I am already planning my next trip. I would definitely put Talkeetna on your list. It is a great little town, and there are a ton of good fishing options within an hour or so of there. As a previous poster said, pay close attention to the regulations, as there are specific regulations for just about every river.

Also, pick up one of these: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Highway-Angler-Fishing-Edition/dp/1578333660"]The Highway Angler: Fishing Alaska's Road System. Fifth Edition.: Gunnar Pedersen: 9781578333660: Amazon.com: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51O65G%[email protected]@[email protected]@51O65G%2BmHQL[/ame]

This book got me on some beautiful water, including one stream full of kings where no one else was fishing. :fish:

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
$1500 didn't last one night in The Great Alaskan Bush Company...
Thats funny, i remember when it was just called the bush company, Back when the wild cherry and the boobytrap still existed.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Have done trips in both July and August.....Silvers were fun, did a two day canoe trip on Swanson Creek......if I had to pick I would definitely go with July..........pinks in the rivers so thick you can hardly miss them and Reds are the best tasting Salmon I have ever had......you can hit a few streams and target Rainbows, but there will be kings there.

The best investment you can make right now is the mile post....PM me an address and I will send you mine...it is a few years old, but still good, just sent it back when you are done.

Also join this website.....plenty of guys there will give you good info, also search reports form the applicable months for the year before...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Check this website and call the owner of Alaska Boat and Canoe, owner is Max, great guy, tons of info and great at helping put stuff together, really great.

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/rafting.html

If you are going to fly on the Kenai Penn, these are great people, ask for Sharon, not only great for flying, but she fishes as well and is a great person.

http://www.alaskabearviewing.us/

With your budget you can really live it up......leave Anchorage and catch early Silvers in Bird Creek, hit Resurrection Creek for Pinks, Quartz for Rainbows and Dollies, hike into Crescent Lake for Grayling.....Fly into the Upper Russian and spend a couple days hiking out and catching Rainbows along the way.....hit the Homer Spit and cast into the ocean for Salmon, Halibut, Cod and whatever hits right off the spit.......I have a contact you can rent rafts from and do your own drift and catch reds and rainbows on a drift between Skilak Lake and Bings Landing......then rent a drift boat and fish Rainbows on the Upper Kenai, White Water Raft on 6 mile creek.......have done a 9 day, 11 day and 14 day trip......if you can do 14, do 14......don't pack too heavy and don't worry about showers....the laundry mats have showers................but you do need to start pretty quick....you will need to make reservations for camping and if you are going to fly into the Upper Russian you set that up soon, as well as reserve rafts, drift boats or whatever....

Best way to make this affordable......is 4 guys......flight into the Upper Russian is 650, there is a cabin on the Upper Russian that is 35 a night, one midway down, 35 dollars.

Two day rental on the rafts and spotting for two rafts would be about 200 dollars......we even rented a river boat on the 2009 trip.

Rent a U-Haul van for two weeks....is about a 500 mile trip around the Kenai Penn and back....you looking at about 350 dollars....haul you gear, but a tarp or bring a tent.

Done right, including your flight, two incredible weeks in Alaska.....1400 dollars each, if there is four, bumps up to under 1900 if there is two.

Wish I was going again, but we are doing Oregon this spring, Oversized Sturgeon, the ocean for surf perch and cod, then bouncing around the interior looking for Bull Trout and Red Band Trout for a week.....renting a 31 foot motorhome, 7 guys going, flight, charter, motorhome and such, running around 800 a piece..................now get busy:D
Oversize sturgeon are a blast.... we fished up by boneville dam and got fish to 12 ft... It was almost as fun catching bait as it was sturge, ultralight gear for 2 to 4 lb shad was a riot!

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
Plenty of roadside spots to see bears. Russian has bears in it almost daily in late July. Any pull off on the seward hwy will have bears in the alpine. Wife and I normally see 2-5 bears every trip down the seward hwy. And if you head north there are tons of bears up on troublesome creek along the parks.

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
Plenty of roadside spots to see bears. Russian has bears in it almost daily in late July. Any pull off on the seward hwy will have bears in the alpine. Wife and I normally see 2-5 bears every trip down the seward hwy. And if you head north there are tons of bears up on troublesome creek along the parks.

I see bears every trip into clear creek. We had a young grizzly that would come down to the creek every night to gorge on salmon when the taxis took all the people home. Upper montana creek was infested with them one year. I was fishing next to one at goose creek one year during king season. Yup plenty of bears to be seen but certainly not as many as would be seen at brooks camp.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts