Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
We both worked on the paddle until dark that night making one whole side of the log the length of the paddle flat. I woke up at six the next morning ate some oat meal and got after it. We cut the marked off paddle free from the rest of the log, put it in our vice and continued the flattening process. By 11 o'clock we had a roughed out paddle. View attachment 853754
By 4 o'clock we had a finished paddle. View attachment 853755
The next day we packed up and moved on with completed paddle View attachment 853757
Awesome!

·
Premium Member
18,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Due to the fact that I smashed my phone and it getting wet I have no pictures other than what my buddy texted me on my new phone, so the rest of this story will be in text except for this one.
After making the paddle and breaking camp we continued to be challenged with the fast high water. A day had passed before we made it to the kipchuk and the salmon River confluence. We spent the night at the Salmon catching grayling for dinner on labor day. At this point we started to see other people and that continued all the way to Aniak. We talked to a few fishing guides about the high-water conditions and the slow fishing we were experiencing and they confirmed it was tough fishing even for them. They all asked about our paddle. Each day forward was a continued challenge and I looked forward to reaching the lower slower river, but with that we found a new challenge.

The lower river was quite high and we struggled to find suitable gravel bars for camp. One evening after a full day of holing up in the tent due to hard rains we had to relocate because we were losing our gravel bar, we camped in the willows that night.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,294 Posts
I wanted to bring it home but due to its size we decided to I eave it at the bnb we stayed at.
Before I left for the trip one of the things I thought of during the planning stage was a paddle lanyard. I thought it might be more of a hazard though if I deed indeed wind up upside down struggling to get out with a dangling paddle on a length of rope. I was concerned of entanglement.
Do we need to start a go fund me account to have them send it to you?

·
Premium Member
18,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Our extraction date was September 12 with a night stay scheduled for the 11th. On the 10th I made a call to the bnb to see if he had an opening for the night as we're just a few miles away. Bingo, he did and we made no haste in getting there.
We were Picked up at the landing in a matter of minutes of arrival. Our accommodations were rustic but warm and dry with a wonderful hot shower and a 45 dollar pizza we settled in for the night. We met some guides and a successful moose hunter that invited us for dinner on our Iast night. I forgot how good moose taste and we enjoyed fellowship with some hardcore Alaskans that were impressed with our story.
On the 12th we made it to the Aniak airport at 1 ready to catch the 3 o clock flight. Upon checking in we found out there was no 3 pm flight. Apparently they changed their schedule and didn't email us. Welcome to the bush.
Lucky for us the 9 am flight was delayed and just arrived. We made it out by the skin of our teeth 😬 as there were no more flights scheduled until Thursday.

·
Registered
22,766 Posts
Thanks for the telling Brushbuster!

Of course the fishing was slow. Crazy guy upstream thrashing around and making sweaty sounds underwater will do that.

Psheew.

Tale was told by the guys that used to take me to Canada of two guys pinned on a big rock underwater by hydraulic pressure. Took the "rescuers" a long time to recover thier bodies.
But sweepers and snags haven't been any better for others either.

Had me wondering if your "double spatula" of a paddle was going to get cut in half and shipped home.
Good makin do on creating /releasing it from it's original form though!

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Great story! I have spent some time in Alaska and understand how remote some of those areas are. You guys are hardcore man, if somethings happens up there ain't nobody coming to help. One of my favorite trophies in my mancave is the mounted grayling I caught in Alaska in 1987. The smallest fish I have mounted but one of the coolest. Good job.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
Thanks for the day by day account on your adventure of a lifetime, looks like a bunch of fun, work and memories added with success.
Great thread for us that can't experience it first hand!
(y)

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Thanks for sharing Brush Buster. That was an adventure you can tell your grandkids about someday.
It also brought back some memories for me.
Back in about 1968 - my brother and his buddy were floating the Chena river upstream from Fairbanks on a moose hunt - and they got pinned to a sweeper in a deep hole and lost most of their gear.They were lucky, in that they could hike out to the road and hitch a ride. They went back a couple of days later and dove down and got their rifles back and some other stuff that sunk.
What you did - was field expedience at its best!
I should add - that you are very lucky to have survived that dunking. Those dam sweepers have killed a lot of folks over the years. You got a lot of hard bark on you!

41 - 60 of 97 Posts