Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
This is awesome, thanks for taking the time to put it together for us to enjoy!! My old man always tied his paddle off to his vessel with some paracord....and he still carried an extra paddle! 馃槅
Best thread I've read here in some time. I keep refreshing hoping for an update.
Glad everyone is liking it. I have some new material for the I sharted thread.
I'll wrap this up tomorrow.
Bringing extra gear is the way to go, but unfortunately due to weight and small planes, that's not always an option. Ounces add up to pounds quickly.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I will add this. When my partner that dropped out asked me if I needed anything of his I said pak raft for a spare, and your food. What about the paddle for a spare? He said. In my prideful arrogance I said nah I don't plan on tipping over. But a raft could come in handy in case we bounce off a log or a bear eats it.

Premium Member
Dam Brush Hell of a trip. Thanks for sharing the pics and like how you told the story.
Come on, it is not over. This was a seven day trip when I was thinking of going. BB is just setting us us for the paid link to get the rest of the story.

(Man I wish I would have gone!!!!!!)

Super Moderator
Nice way to save your trip! Can't even imagine going down that river without steerage. More than likely a death sentence!

When I first used my kayak I used a paddle lanyard, but after a couple of trips I stopped using it. Really didn't need it on our lame waters. (maybe the Pine in Spring) On a voyage such as yours it should be standard equipment. Bet you'll have one next time.

Awesome read! Thanks for taking us along!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed reading.
I hope you kept that paddle!! Wall hanger for sure.
I wanted to bring it home but due to its size we decided to I eave it at the bnb we stayed at.
Before I left for the trip one of the things I thought of during the planning stage was a paddle lanyard. I thought it might be more of a hazard though if I deed indeed wind up upside down struggling to get out with a dangling paddle on a length of rope. I was concerned of entanglement.

Banned
Glad everyone is liking it. I have some new material for the I sharted thread.
I'll wrap this up tomorrow.
Bringing extra gear is the way to go, but unfortunately due to weight and small planes, that's not always an option. Ounces add up to pounds quickly.
Not quick enough when you are selling by the ounce! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, this thread is great and makes me miss Alaska that much more!

Banned
Im just glad your still here to tell us about!!!! You my man are blessed!
Yeah, but if you gotta drown, no better way than doing some cool schitt like that!

I am glad he made it too.

@brushbuster, I bet the first thing you did was hug and kiss your Wife when you got home! I know I would have, hug my kid and wife at the same time!

Registered
We both worked on the paddle until dark that night making one whole side of the log the length of the paddle flat. I woke up at six the next morning ate some oat meal and got after it. We cut the marked off paddle free from the rest of the log, put it in our vice and continued the flattening process. By 11 o'clock we had a roughed out paddle. View attachment 853754
By 4 o'clock we had a finished paddle. View attachment 853755
The next day we packed up and moved on with completed paddle View attachment 853757
Geez, keep up that handiwork and you might even be able to build a log home some day. 馃槆

(I followed that thread too)

Premium Member
WTH! Why not just have the bush plane fly you in another paddle? You know the drill!

21 - 40 of 97 Posts