Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had seen a couple posts talking about using Air Rifles and Predator Pellets to hunt squirrel and other small game. I was/am totally ignorant to the fact that an air rifle could down a squirrel.

I found a gun, it wont let me post the link, but its a " Gamo Carbine Sport
Combo .177 Caliber 850 fps"

^^ Would that gun be powerful enough to work for this? I am also assuming that the entire Gamo Air rifle line are compatable with the aforementioned predator pellets.

Thank you for any responses and advice.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I have a Gammo but cant remember the model. The pellet travels at 1200fps and can put a whole in small game no problem.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I would stay at or above 1000 fps with a .177 pellet. Now, if you used a .22 cal pellet then 850 fps would probably work because of the higher kinetic energy.

Yes, the predator pellets shot quite well out of a Gamo gun.

·
Premium Member
2,309 Posts
I think the 1200 Fps models would have no problem. When considering slower rifles like 800 or 850fps, I would think shot placement would be the determining factor. With a good head shot I think even a red rider BB gun could take out Mr. Bushy tail. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
BB's will bounce off of squirrels...

A headshot even with a 500-600fps air rifle using a pellet is fatal to a squirrel at close range...

There a many, many web pages on air rifle hunting (in many places where firearms are restricted air rifles are the only weapon to hunt with). In some places turkey may be hunted with air rifles...

The power of air rifles is measured by the muzzle energy of the rifle. Muzzle energy is a function of the weight of the pellet and the speed that the pellet is fired, so heavier pellets will have more energy than light pellets. A 25 lbs gun (typical .22 caliber) is more powerful than a 17 lbs gun (typical .177).

Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts