Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering adding one of these to my armory. But I am trying to figure out a use for them besides target practice. I am considering a highpowered one. But not to highpowered.

here is what I got Woodchucks, but I have houses behind me. I have been using a live trap and getting rid of them that way. My concern is my barn because they are burrowing underneath my barn and I have a cement floor in it. The live trap is working well along with the my 22lr that I use to finish them off once they are trapped. I also use bow and arrow. but not my preffered method. I am wondering would a high powered air rifle with a head shot would take care of the wood chucks. Or is my current method of Live trap and 22lr my best option.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I dont see why not,I just got my new Field and Stream magazine in the mail the other day and they show a guy that took a 200 l.b. boar with a Gamo Hunter Extreme .177 1600 fps with PBA ammo and 1200 fps with lead.Now I dont know if I would be going to hunt Wild Boars with an air gun but it should do the trick with correct shot placement.

·
Registered
68 Posts
those high powered air rifles make as much noise as a 22 if you are concerned with noise. but if you get atleast 1000fps it will take out a critter. they also make .22 pellet instead of a .177 that would be benneficial. my experience is you need to spend a few hundred to stay accurate consistently.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I got the Gamo Shadow 1000 for christmas last year and thought it was a waste of a present till spring.(about $125 with scope) Now, I've ridded my friends garage of red squirrles and have an appointment this saturday to get rid of the chipmunks. This model really isnt that loud and VERY accurate. I put a polymer tipped pellet right behind the shoulder of one red and it ended up putting a small hole in the other side but not passing through. At 40ish yards it knocked it right off the fence and dead before i could even walk to it. Like Shogun said get at least 1000 fps. I'd say it's worth it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Woodchuck should not be any trouble for a 1000fps model.
I just put a Winchester 1000x through a chronograph and the max was 934 The penetration on that thing is downright wicked! I quit using it on chipmunks & squirrels becase the pellets dont seem to expand quick enough on game that size. Doing some testing I put a hollow point .177 Beeman pellet though 3 milk jugs layed flat. Moved them out to 20 yds and I did get the pellet in jug #3.
I took a possum with it and it was a little bang, big flop lol. It would take game much bigger with a well placed shot. The big spring guns do kick though and need an airgun specific scope. Not big bucks, i got one at Wally world for $40.
I would even think 800 in .177 will do but no less. I like 800 or less for squirrel or chips. More energy is transferred in my opinion.
( my opinion is worth about 6-7000 pellets a year) 500 for $3.49 :D

I just got a modified CO2 in .22 cal. :evil: :evil: :evil: I like that one a lot more and I know it would do the job and then some too.
Heck im thinking about offing some rimfires im having so much fun with the pellet guns.

Here is a pic of them

#1 is called a QB78, made in China. Reworked by www.mountainaircustomairguns.com Powered by a 20oz paintball tank. $3.99 a fill, far cheaper than the small cartriges. It does unhook with quick disconnects and I am getting 16-17 shots right now. More as the temp goes up. Shooting 630fps at these low temps but will do over 700 when we get some heat.
#2 is a Crosman Nightstalker .177 rated at 580 fps, shooting 490 cold (54deg when I shot the chrony)
#3 is the Winchester 1000 x. Note the scope is not on that gun anymore. Kicks so much 15 shots or so would cause some movement. With loctite!!
#4 is a Crosman 1377, very old, very slow but tons of family fun.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmm Mountain Airs site isnt working right now. Link is correct though.
Guns #2 & #3 I got at Meijers. 2 was a bill, 3 was 130.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Sheridan Blue Streak is the answer my friend. A Benjamin Silver Streak is also the same air rifle. It is a .20 cal. air rifle, single shot and it is very lethal! My brother, father and I have sent many varmits to an early demise with one. I don't know ballistics on it, but at 10 feet, it will go thru a piece of 3/8" plywood with ease.

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Noise is not a problem I live in the country. The problem is houses. I have two nieghbors that live behind me. I know a 22lr can travel a long ways. That is my concern is distance the pellet will travel. I know 1000 fps is fast and will do the job. But how far will these pellets fly. 50 yards, 100 yards, as for acuracy it would be used for 30 yards or less. I am not out in the open field hunting woodchucks. I am in my backyard removing rodents and pests.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I bet you could get 300-400 yds but you would have to point at the moon. If you were to hold the barrel level I would guess about 75 yds with a 1000fps.
Seems like once they hit the ground they dont go far, most of what im shooting in has a lot of leaves nothing is hard packed and I dont hear ricochets.

http://www.bigborebob.com/

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
The pellets are kind of on the lighter side, 12 gr. I think, am not real sure, but the gun is very accurate, once you sight it in of course. I have used it on many occassions in the woods squirrel hunting, shooting at close in distances. I have also used it inside of my uncles barn, it does have enough power to take out a coon, I have done it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Also note that any airgun over .177 cal you will have to fill out the same form you would a .50 Barrett :dizzy: Had to fork out an extra $30 for an FFL transfer to get my .22 home.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I used to own a Beeman .177 When I lived in a residential setting. It was a single cock spring 1000 fsp. Cleaned up the neighborhood pest problems, possum, skunks, squirrels, ect. A little bit more than your wallmart models but you get what you pay for. As far as noise they are about as loud as sub sonic .22 cal. Unless you have oil in the barrel then they crack just like a rifle, from deisling. Have fun.
Oaks:

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
I picked up one of the Cabelas outfitter series this winter and have had some fun. I've shot 2 rabbits and countless starlings so far. I have been shooting Beeman silver arrow pellets with good results and I also started shooting some RWS wadcutters that are shooting nicely. I tried some of the PBA (cause it was free) and wasn't that impresed. Accuracy was marginal. When I got around to weighing some pellets, I found alot of variation pellet to pellet (as much as 10%) and not alot of consistency. I weighed some of the Beeman's just for comparision and the weights ranged from 11.1 to 11.2 on all pellets wieghed....Also lead pellets stay sub-sonic out of my rifle while the PBA did not making the PBA considerably louder. The PBA also caused more vibration (recoil). I would assume because of its lighter weight (5.25 grn. +/- .25 vs 11 grns on the lead pellets), probably contributes to is higher velocity. The PBA does penetrate 'tho. At 20 ft. the lead pellets don't quite push through 7/16" OSB, but the PBA went clean through the same material..........I'd say chucks at 20-30yds would be no problem. Looking for another fun target ??? Yesterday evening I smeared some honey on a target and was TRYING to shoot flies and ladybugs @ 20yds when they stopped for a snack........talk about a challenging target.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts