Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading a lot about them, notably their efficiency and health benefits. Anyone use them, and what brand is preferred? Also, probably dumb question, but is an air fryer an alternative for all fried foods, like can I do a beer batter fish fillet in one?

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Health benefits are questionable, but it is possible to make a decent meal with one.

It is not a replacement for things fried in oil. Battered foods can be tricky to 'fry' in the air fryer.

It's basically a small convection oven. It 'fries' by circulating hot air around the thing and crisping up the exterior.

Sorry forgot to add we have a “ninja” brand air fryer. Have had it a year and used it maybe twice. Not a fan of cleaning it, but it’s easy enough to use.

·
Premium Member
13,455 Posts
I would not advise any kind of wet batter in an air fryer. Love mine for fries, dry breading fish, and darn good chicken wings.
I would 2nd that advice.
Wet battered food doesn’t do well unless there is some secret method I’m not aware of.
Meats and vegetables cooked in it do great.
Makes great chicken especially imo.

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
My chicken wing method... (I know it's not the question but if you like wings, dang they're good!)

1.Buy excessive amount of wings.
2. Trim them up the way you like
3. Apply light coat of oil to basket and wings. Season wings if/as you like
4. Cook wings at 325 for 18 min, tossing them half way through to mix up.(Dont overfill basket or next part wont work as well).
5. Crank it up to 400F for 7-8 min to crisp the skin and finish them.
6. Sauce them or leave them naked/dry seasoned as you prefer.
7. Unlatch your belt and consume with a beer.

I have a power airfryer XL but I dont know if they're made anymore... not sure how well other brands work. The downside is they are kinda small for larger quantities, in which case a convection oven does pretty much the same thing but is not as convenient and, at least in my oven, does not crisp things as well even at the same temp.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
We have the Power Airfryer XL and use it often. Chicken, fish fries etc all come out good. We have done a whole chicken and it was good but took a little longer to cook. We have taken small pork loin and cooked them with good results. Only issue is when you do multiple things like fish and fries. You need to keep the first item warm while cooking the second. Unit is easy to clean.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
We have the Power Airfryer XL and use it often. Chicken, fish fries etc all come out good. We have done a whole chicken and it was good but took a little longer to cook. We have taken small pork loin and cooked them with good results. Only issue is when you do multiple things like fish and fries. You need to keep the first item warm while cooking the second. Unit is easy to clean.
I don't have an air fryer but I have a convection oven. Is there a big difference between the 2 as for cooking technique. Is my convection oven set to 400 degrees the same as 400 degrees in the air fryer?? You can cook a lot more stuff in the oven.

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
I don't have an air fryer but I have a convection oven. Is there a big difference between the 2 as for cooking technique. Is my convection oven set to 400 degrees the same as 400 degrees in the air fryer?? You can cook a lot more stuff in the oven.
My air fryer cooks stuff better than my convection oven. However.... for more food at once, the oven wins.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
We have had for for a couple of years. Wifes uses it all the time but like was said works good on battered fish but not as good as deep fryed, works excellent on frys. For some reason the thicker ones not so well but if you make them from scratch these turn out very well. The shoe string ones work good. I used it to cook summer squash which after a few trys were ok. The problem like was mentioned it is not big enough to do a whole meal in it. Get one with a shelf in the basket. Overall it works good for 2 peoplewhen used to cook one item. I think ours is a Frabeware brand

·
Registered
2,090 Posts

For smaller loads the Air Fryer would be faster and probably more efficient. The smaller area is moving the hot air around the food faster and less air needs to be heated.

·
Premium Member
11,192 Posts
Honestly, best fries you've ever had in your life.

Anything "pre-battered" like frozen things that aren't healthy, are excellent. Lol

I've never tried doing my own fish it in due to bad reviews on that, but I probably should at least give it a whirl.

Chicken wings are great, breasts and thighs are awesome too, even when cooking chicken in the air fryer.

Steak is awesome reheated in it. Seasoned up some cubes of steak and it was great.

You can reheat things well in it.

Worth buying and playing with IMO.

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts

Anything "pre-battered" like frozen things that aren't healthy, are excellent. Lol

I've never tried doing my own fish it in due to bad reviews on that, but I probably should at least give it a whirl.

Chicken wings are great, breasts and thighs are awesome too, even when cooking chicken in the air fryer.

Steak is awesome reheated in it. Seasoned up some cubes of steak and it was great.

Try dry batter fish. Egg/milk, crackers, parmesan cheese and a seasoning make pretty darn good fish. Everyone's tastes may vary but after a couple tries/variations I was pretty impressed with how it turned out, and my wife and toddler probably would have bit my hand if I reached for the last piece.

·
Premium Member
11,192 Posts
Try dry batter fish. Egg/milk, crackers, parmesan cheese and a seasoning make pretty darn good fish. Everyone's tastes may vary but after a couple tries/variations I was pretty impressed with how it turned out, and my wife and toddler probably would have bit my hand if I reached for the last piece.
Kid tested and mother approved!

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts

My SIL goes to own once a week and while there she gets a bunch of fries from McDonalds. Put them it frig and reheats them in the air fryer . Says they are great

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Will the batter stick to the fish this way

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
Will the batter stick to the fish this way
My first attempt the batter stuck but when I broke the piece of fish, it partially slid out of the "shell". Next try it stuck good.

I do the wash, then roll in crumb/cheese/season mix, then place in the fryer and sprinkle the excess mix on top of the fish and gently press it in. When it cooks, it binds together pretty decent for a dry mix. I dont flip it. Did that first time but never bothered again.

·
Premium Member
10,786 Posts
Anybody ever cook a hotdog in the air fryer? Youngest grandson put 2 into ours and when he took them out they puffed up like they were going to blow up. I think he needed to poke a hole in them

·
Super Moderator
35,213 Posts
Anybody ever cook a hotdog in the air fryer? Youngest grandson put 2 into ours and when he took them out they puffed up like they were going to blow up. I think he needed to poke a hole in them
No... I dont see a reason to cook hotdogs in there. I dont think poking a hole works either. They expand when heated too much and will burst open. Just dont cook them that long.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts