Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sent off the article and emails to my State Reps. Thanks for sharing the information! Going to send emails to Sen. Levin and Sen. Stabenow, too. Appreciate how informative the forum is from dog training, dog breeding, habitat, Conibear traps to land management, always learning!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
if i recall correctly, the money for the trust fund comes from oil and gas royalties in the pigeon river country.

when the controversial drilling started, a citizens committee was formed to oversee the effects of the drillling.

very little drilling , if any, is going on now and the effect on wildlife has been neglible. elk often graze around wells and on the grass of the underground piple lines.

but the committee has continued to expand its influence. do a google for "pigeon river country" and look at their webpage. their mission statment is to promote old growth forest.

so whether this money is kept within the dnr or spent on other projects, it wll make little difference in the promotion of habitat. which should be the dnr number 1 priority.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
whether this money is kept within the dnr or spent on other projects, it wll make little difference in the promotion of habitat. which should be the dnr number 1 priority.
This issue came up almost exactly two years ago. At the time, Rep Sheltrown proposed exactly what you're talking about, DW. Couple threads:

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274370
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274664

As far as I know, no changes were made at that time.

My feeling is the same now as it was then. Land acquisitions? Fine. Habitat improvement? Fine.

Spending this money to build roads and channel off to other departments? Don't even try it.

KW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.