Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot this buck last week and am not sure how old he is. Antlers are 95-100 about average for a 2 year old. But he dressed 170-175 pounds, about average for a three year old. This is also a new area im hunting so im not really sure what the average is in this area.Anybody with any tooth wear training got a guess? Oceana county farmland by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Mass of the beams coming out of their head is how i age them.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Looks pretty young but who knows. Tooth wear aging is hit or miss at best and the only true way beyond raising or knowing the deer from birth is tooth slicing(like rings on a tree)

Take a dear that is 5.5 in and area of low, mucky soil most of it's life and compare it to a 2.5 deer that lives in really sandy soil areas. I am relatively certain a deer on the west coast of Michigan along the shoreline has more dental bills than the ones here in Mid-Michigan swamp land.

·
Registered
771 Posts
it's easy to tell the difference between a .5yr, 1.5yr and 2.5yr old by there teeth. Aging anything older than 2.5 becomes very difficult.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I would be hard pressed to age that deer older than 2 1/2.

Was the dressed weight an estimate or on a scale?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Shot this buck last week and am not sure how old he is. Antlers are 95-100 about average for a 2 year old. But he dressed 170-175 pounds, about average for a three year old. This is also a new area im hunting so im not really sure what the average is in this area.Anybody with any tooth wear training got a guess? Oceana county farmland by the way.
Based on the tooth wear it certainly appears this to be from a 2.5 yr old deer. We know it is least a 2.5. Yr old as the 3rd pre-molar has only two cusps. Also it does not appear the dentine on the 4th molar is twice as wide as the enamel on this tooth so therefore I would classify it as 2.5.

Here is some good info on tooth aging for those interested.
http://www.qdma.com/videos/jawbone-aging-part-2-tooth-wear

1 - 10 of 10 Posts