Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in creating a few food plots this upcoming spring. I have land near Iron River in the UP. I was wondering whether anyone new of a place to get some AG Lime around that area. Otherwise I will have to hall it all the way up from GB which I do not want to do.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Ag lime takes up to 9 months to fully absorb into the soil. I would look into getting pelletized lime. It's a little more expensive but absorbs much faster. As far as knowing where to get it that far north, I have no idea lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Liquid lime or pellets are some options. Try to get the lime that is safer fo the soil and absorbs correctly I believe its in the pelletized. I've switched to liquid fertilizers with some very good succes and;) there so much easier to apply since I have a sprayer add water then add the stuff..easy easy.. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Pel-lime is the way to go on new plots. Have you done a soil test? Pel-lime also has a higher CCE. How big are your plots going to be? If under an acre id start with pel-lime. After the ph has been corrected use ag lime as needed.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't know how big your plots are or how bad your soil is but pelletized lime is much more expensive than ag lime and yes it works faster but it also does not last as long I paid 20.00 a ton for ag lime last year. You just need means for transportation, look in to any coops or grain elevators in your area. I put down 11 Tons and rented the spreader from my grain elevator last year.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Several factors determine how fast the ph will adjust from lime.

- The size of the lime particle will determine speed of change. Unfortunately pel lime will not change ph faster than good ag lime of similar CCE

- Most limes can take up to 3 years to fully benefit the soil

- Dolomitic lime (high Mag) has the potential to change ph faster than calcitic lime (high Calcium). However more soils and food plot crops would benefit from the higher calcium in calcitic lime

-Liquid limes are very expensive for the limited amount of calcium they offer.

Mike is right. Good ag lime can be the most economical for larger plots or plots that are easy to get a spreader into. the more expensive bagged pel lime may b e the only option on remote plots.

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Everyone.

I am planning on creating a 2 acre plot and a 1 acre plot. So I guess a decent size.

In the 2 acre, I plan on planting half of it with a whitetail institute Extreme and the other half with eagle seed forage soy beans. On my 1 acre, I plan to plant corn for the later months for deer.

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
Thanks Everyone.

I am planning on creating a 2 acre plot and a 1 acre plot. So I guess a decent size.

In the 2 acre, I plan on planting half of it with a whitetail institute Extreme and the other half with eagle seed forage soy beans. On my 1 acre, I plan to plant corn for the later months for deer.
i used the extreme this year and despite its price it worked very well. deer seem to like it as well.

·
Registered
817 Posts
noltner, I have food plots in Iron county also and we get our bulk lime from Turunen in Pelkie (906-353-6638) All of our original ph vlaues were in the range of 5.2 to 5.5 and it took about 4 tons per acre to get to the 6.5 range. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
Call Jack

Turunen Incorporated
15561 Pelkie Road
Pelkie, MI 49958
Phone: (906) 353-6638

Sorry Lew I just saw you posted the same place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts