Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just woundering if anyone changes up the origional hooks that come on lures. If so, what type of lure, and what size hooks do you change to. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Ray

·
Registered
128 Posts
i always change them to a red eagle claw or diachi. at least one size bigger sometimes two sizes depending on missed hook sets. also cut the nose hook off rapala style to keep from snagging. doesn't matter which lure, i usually do it on all of mine and put new on every year on the hot lures of the season.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I know a lot of people cut the front hook off the jigging raps, but the two biggest walleye I've ever caught were taken head first, and one was only hooked with the front hook.
On the flip side, I have lost a couple of fish at the hole getting that front hook stuck on the hole.
Pick your poison I guess...

·
Registered
456 Posts
All of my lures get new VMC hooks before they make it to my lure box. If I cant hang it off my fingernail with the point of the hook it gets changed or sharpened. I normally use the same size as oem but that can vary depending on missed hooksets and such

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
VMC Cone Cuts, Mustad Ultra Points or Gamakatsu for me.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have been using owner with the feather, like the ones that you would see on a poper. I tell you what it looks sweet in the water tiped only with a minnow head. Nice flutter action. Been smoking my buds using regular hooks:evil:

·
Registered
402 Posts
I picked up a few sure sets w/ feathers and im gonna try them this year on a few of my spoons. We'll see what happens when i get a chance to use them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts