Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Optima 50 cal, Blackhorn 209 (110 on volumetric tube), Federal 209A Primer with 250 Gr Barnes Expander MZ (as if it should matter), yes, Blackhorn 209 Breech Plug in.

At range, no issue sighting in year to year, 4-6 shots with minimal if any adj, 1.5" at 100 yds thru Nikon BM II BDC 3x9x40, no cleaning between shots, thorough cleaning after (including reaming out and soaking breech in Hopps) and cased for hunting.

After the days hunting (do not unload) hang on rack inside camp in an unheated addition (so ambient ~25-35F with relative humidity and yes know 209 not H2O soluble). The last cpl seasons have taken a shot 2-3 days after the above scenario resulting in a hang or misfire. I have also had a clean fire, not clean, reload repeating the above scenario or storing before firing 2-3 days with another hang/misfire.

Advice please!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even if the area is unheated, it will still draw ambient condensation. Leave it outside for results.
That is my first consideration as always did so when shooting XXX or Pryo. Not arguing that isn't a possible solution but being Blackhorn is not water soluble why would any scenario resulting in possible condensation (no matter to what extent) due to storing affect the firing?

·
Registered
35,197 Posts
Are you hunting in a heated blind? Do you use a barrel condom?

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
That is my first consideration as always did so when shooting XXX or Pryo. Not arguing that isn't a possible solution but being Blackhorn is not water soluble why would any scenario resulting in possible condensation (no matter to what extent) due to storing affect the firing?
Moisture in any situation with a muzzleloading firearm will affect ignition. Even Blackhorn can and will be prone to misfires if there is any type of moisture in the powder charge. The best solution is to keep the firearm outside to prevent condensation. Like was mentioned, the barrel condom is good advice.

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Just asking.……….. are you using the dedicated BH209 replacement breech plug?

·
Registered
35,197 Posts
Do you fire a primer or two before loading to clean the flame channel of any contaminates?

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Two things beyond the correct breech plug..…….. one is the rifle MUST be clean of all lubricants, including the breech plug, which is why many say to pop a couple caps only. Second, compress the bullet TIGHTLY against the propellant (BH209).

If those two things are complete, you're using the proper primers and they SEAL, the rifle will go off without hesitation.

Reactions: rdwings926

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Redwing, No xpert here, but had the same experience last year one time as you with all the same components. I concluded that i had left a slight film of hoppes 9 on the breech plug and even though i had used the drill and poker, it was enough to make for a weak ignition.
Since then, i work over that bp to get it clean like it just came out of the package, douce it in alcohol, and blow off dry with compressed air. Have had no more problems since then.
Basically agree with on every step with Encore. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Get the rifle out, remove the breech plug and again, run the proper size drill bit (1/8"?) down the flash channel to the bottom (you'll know) and be sure ALL carbon is chipped out clear to the bottom. Verify that the flash hole is not obstructed by a chip of carbon.

Clean that breech plug with a 50/50 combination of Hoppe's and 91% alcohol. Dry it completely and use a Q-tip down the flash channel to dry it perfectly.

Next, use the same 50/50 combination on your patches and clean the barrel... spotless. Once the barrel is clean, run enough dry patches down the bore to assure its completely dry.

Bust a couple primers WITHOUT A CHARGE AND BULLET, then load the rifle as you would for hunting but...... When you seat that sabot/bullet, seat it HARD and TIGHT against the propellant. Two hands. Then discharge the rifle..... SAFELY.

Load it and again, put HARD pressure on seating that bullet to the propellant.

LABLE THE RIFLE AS LOADED WITH A CARD OR SOMETHING THAT IS IDENTIFIABLE BY ANYONE AND EVERYONE, AWAY FROM ALL CHILDREN!

Hang the rifle, or set it in the garage (SAFETY FIRST) and leave it for two or three days. Then SAFELY discharge the rifle.
That rifle is going to go off, or something is major wrong somewhere.
Unless the propellant has been compromised prior to loading, primers are not being struck hard enough or, they've been compromised, you should get instant ignition.

bp_diagram.jpg

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Get the rifle out, remove the breech plug and again, run the proper size drill bit (1/8"?) down the flash channel to the bottom (you'll know) and be sure ALL carbon is chipped out clear to the bottom. Verify that the flash hole is not obstructed by a chip of carbon.

Clean that breech plug with a 50/50 combination of Hoppe's and 91% alcohol. Dry it completely and use a Q-tip down the flash channel to dry it perfectly.

Next, use the same 50/50 combination on your patches and clean the barrel... spotless. Once the barrel is clean, run enough dry patches down the bore to assure its completely dry.

Bust a couple primers WITHOUT A CHARGE AND BULLET, then load the rifle as you would for hunting but...... When you seat that sabot/bullet, seat it HARD and TIGHT against the propellant. Two hands. Then discharge the rifle..... SAFELY.

Load it and again, put HARD pressure on seating that bullet to the propellant.

LABLE THE RIFLE AS LOADED WITH A CARD OR SOMETHING THAT IS IDENTIFIABLE BY ANYONE AND EVERYONE, AWAY FROM ALL CHILDREN!

Hang the rifle, or set it in the garage (SAFETY FIRST) and leave it for two or three days. Then SAFELY discharge the rifle.
That rifle is going to go off, or something is major wrong somewhere.
Unless the propellant has been compromised prior to loading, primers are not being struck hard enough or, they've been compromised, you should get instant ignition.

View attachment 471957
Any preference towards the Blackhorn CVA QR Breech Plug sold by Western Powders which ironically comes with O rings to seal the primer or (as I use) the CVA Blackhorn Nitride 209 noting the difference in the cleaning kits?

·
Premium Member
9,362 Posts
Any preference towards the Blackhorn CVA QR Breech Plug sold by Western Powders which ironically comes with O rings to seal the primer or (as I use) the CVA Blackhorn Nitride 209 noting the difference in the cleaning kits?
I believe the Western plug would be the one I'd want.

Reactions: rdwings926

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The blackhorn for sure is fussy. I shot around 25 rounds at the range today with an omega and a pro hunter making sure to drill breech by hand with 1/8 drill and cleaned flash channel with torch cleaner. This time never had a hang fire UNTIL i did a little hunting sequence and reloaded and shot with dirty barrels. On 3rd shot on dirty barrel had a hang fire.

Other than that sequence i was cleaning breech and barrel every shot.

I like the blackhorn but not sure what to think about the hangfires. Granted should never have to reload 3 times but still.

Been using the cci 209m. Maybe i should try federals?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts