Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a used sled for fishing the bay. Found out my intended trailer is not going to work. How cheaply can I get into a 2 spot trailer? I don't need anything enclosed, etc. Also, buy new? Used? I got a great deal on the sled (IMHO) and don't want to spend alot.

EP

·
Premium Member
14,960 Posts
Just bought a used sled for fishing the bay. Found out my intended trailer is not going to work. How cheaply can I get into a 2 spot trailer? I don't need anything enclosed, etc. Also, buy new? Used? I got a great deal on the sled (IMHO) and don't want to spend alot.

EP
Lets see if I can answer this alittle. You asked new or used? and asked how cheap? well a new one wont be "cheap" Depends on your idea of cheap. Craigslist is always a good place to find those items.
A used one will be cheaper. Saw a used 2 place, tiltable in craigslist (Flint) for $350.00 like 2 or 3 days ago. I think thats a cheap price for a 2 place, titling trailer.
I bought my current one for $500.00 from a friend who was just looking to dump it quick.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...sorry I was so opened ended! I am going to look at one the guy wants 600.00 we shall see.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
You can buy my 2 place enclosed for $1000. I need a 30 fter :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
For the trailer, it comes down to several factors.

If you need it now, buying new would likely be the quickest, a dealer should have it on the lot now rather than waiting for a good deal on Craigslist or by searching the classified section of the newspaper.

If saving some money is the priority, then keep looking around and asking others if they know of any or have spotted any along the road for sale in your area. Many times they are paired up with a snowmobile and the trailer may be available seperately, stop and ask about it.

How often/far would you need to trailer it? if your answer if far and often, new may be your better choice as the tires and wheel bearings would be new and less likely to leave you stranded along side a road with a flat or burnt up wheel bearing that a poorly maintained used unit may cause you.

If that answer is short and not often, then used may be the better choice but if you do buy used, plan on going through the wheel bearings and repack them if they look good in the near future for your peace of mind.

Either new or used, carry a spare tire for the trailer with you when you pull it and have a jack that will work on the trailer.

Buster boy

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice. I have only a ten mile run tothe bay so dont need a long haul deal. I really want to get into it as cheaply as possible, but I get the quality issue as well.

As always for me wallet fights with toys every time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts