Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on opening up the store on Jan 3rd and be open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays until spring to 7 days a week. I am not too experience in Ice fishing so I am seeking advice on what kind of Bait and tackle is popular for ice fishing. Any Advice or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
133 Posts
start by telling those who don't know, where you are at, what's the name of the store, do you have a link to a website. I don't think I have ever been in there, but not sure where you're even at.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I've seen that store, and have been there..First bait store you get to after getting off of the freeway heading to Sterling.

Good Luck, I'm not sure that's such a hot ice fishing area to support another bait store in the winter with the place next to the state park selling pizza, food, and also open 24 hours.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
the lake may not be nice to you, as far as the ice goes, but the guys i fish with will gladly pay you for bait, tackle and pop/snacks before we stop elsewhere.

we usually go to small canals and farm ponds around here and we also go to the Irish Hills area to fish those inland lakes. when we head to LSC or "the hills", we usually buy our minnows the night before.

if it were me, i would start out light and work up from year to year. a few Schooler(sp?) rods. some 2lb and 4lb ice line in filler spool sizes (110 yards i think). some walleye jigs, panfish jigs, jigging Rapala's, Ken's Hooks, Jensen Eggs, waxworms, spikes (in a few different colors), perch minnows and mousies.small size split-shot, #2 long shank snelled gold hooks and some smaller floats/bobbers. a few insulated bait buckets and minnow nets/dippers.

when guys drive by and see you are open, they will stop in and "look around" and see if you might have a better minnow count or a certain color jig they can't find elsewhere.

being in your line of business, you can't please EVERYONE.you also can't afford to cater to every specific need. you will get alot of good feedback from this site as far as "the basics" to carry for this area.

Good Luck.......hope the weather is good to you and us this season. if so, i'll see you next weekend!!!!!!!:fish:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Go to the link at the bottom of my post and see if Harry has any jigs left.
Best I have ever used...very durable!!!
Sly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts