Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my Dad and I are going to be taking the plunge and getting a boat he is bent on getting it this weekend at the boat show. Nothing over the top, it will be in the 17 to 19 foot range, he is pretty set on getting a lund, I am a little more open. My question to everyone is what are somethings to negotiate into a deal on a boat, and also what are some things that are must haves on a boat, gadgets and so forth.

Thanks ,
Jim

P.S. I forgot to mention this is mainly a small lake, lsc, st clair river and calm mornings and nights on lake huron.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
You're asking for alot of info in a really short time. Before I even start, I'd say that if your asking these questions now, not even close to enough research has been done to settle on a specific boat by this weekend. Especially if your going to buy new, cause your gonna take a huge hit as soon as you buy, so you ought to be happy, not saying "I wish I would have..." two monthes down the road.

I would definitaly go to the show and compare, and if you see one that works for you, go from there, but there are a TON of boats out there. I wouldnt just dive into a long term purchase without really comparing. Also, if you're not even sure on the model, there is no way you can price shop. Remember, boat shows are a great place to compare models and manufactures, but rarely will you see two dealers selling the same line of boat at the same show. This eliminates price comparison shopping and one dealer trying to beat the other.

As far as the boat itself, I'm a big water guy, I'm not up on specifics of the Lunds and that style boat, but there are alot of others here that own them.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, we have done a lot of research, for about 6 months now, we know the style of boat we want and and the features we want in a boat. He is pretty dead set on a lund, i am just trying to open his eyes on some other brands. I guess the type of info i am looking for is stuff that doesnt normally go along with a boat when you buy it, for example rod holders and so on, I was just kind of curious as to some of those things you dont really think about until you need it. Also not really sure what type of things you can get a dealer to throw in, for example life vest, or that sporttracking for after market rod holders.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
dieguy

I don't think there is enuff space on this site to list what you are asking for. Here is a few things to look for. I was in the same boat that you and your dad are in last year at this time. I started my research in Sep. and by the time the boat show came I knew what I wanted on my boat. Size, Depth, Width, Max. horse power, wide gunnals for mounting downriggers and rod holders, storage space, livewells, built-in radio, sonar style, and ect...... When I went to the boat show I was all set on buying a 17' crestliner w/90hp Merc. after getting there and comparing brand with brand I found out I did not do enuff research. You need to think about what you are going to use the boat for, what type of fishing, how many people are you going to take fishing with you, how easy is the boat to load and unload by yourself, Do you want fiberglass or Aluminum, welded or riveted, and ect...... The list could go on for ever. In the end I walk out of the boat show with out a boat, but I knew what I wanted and what I didn't want. Use the boat show as a good tool to compare models, and brands and do not feel like you have to buy a boat right then and there. A lot of the dealers will hold to there show prices for 30 days so that can give you time to look and compare prices.

I hope this will help you in make the right decision that best fits you and your dads needs. OH one more thing when you deside on the boat go with the 4-stroke and the Max. horse power for that boat its well worth it and you will not be happy unless you do. This is just my two cents

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
BJ found this one hiding on boattrader.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/8/64602608.htm

Sounds like you've done your research, but make sure you can't get it cheaper somewhere else. A drive to Minnesota to save $1000 isn't necessarily bad.

Here's a link to the "Rizzo Method", a car-buying technique that I know several people who have used. Basically, you spec out the boat you want and find the dealer willing to meet your price. Boat shows are all about impulse buying and not getting the best price possible.

http://e46fanatics.com/faq/rizzo.html

I'd read this link over, then call every Lund dealer in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin getting quotes.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks again fellas, i am going to email this thread to my dad, maybe ground him a little. This is exactly why i wanted him to wait till the boat show so e could see a whole variety of boats, he just about impulsed bought at spicers over the summer, i talked him out of it and offered to split cost with him and go in together. We have narrowed down everything to the type of fishing and took consideration for lone boating. when it all comes down to it, he likes the lund resale, quality, and well looks. he has three different models he is interested in. thanks again for all the advice. and a four stroke is not an option, he will not get a stroke. Will we walk out of the boat show with a boat sale probably not. I guess what i would really like to know is what things can you negotiate into a deal, for example life vests so on and so forth. Dad likes to work the bottem price and i like to see them throw some stuff in.

There is a lot of time before the boat can get in the water so we are not rushed or i should say i am not rushed I am frugal, where as dad sees what he wants and gets it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
My advice is to simple negotiate the best boat/motor/trailer combo price you can get.

And forget about trying to wheel & deal on lifejackets, fishfinders, bow mount troller, etc.

Reason being that you can get all this stuff markedly cheaper from places like Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc., and a dealer will use these items to artificially inflate the price of a new rig.

Also, a dealer might only have a limited selection of a product, for instance he might only sell Humminbird fishfinders. Thus, you'll be needlessly restricting yourself in equipment choice.

And they might hastily slap-on the stuff just anywhere on your boat, like putting rod holders where you really don't want them.

IMO, you are much better off to buy all the extras on your own. That way you know you are getting the best bottom-line price on the b-m-t combo.

Plus its alot funner to pick-out your own accessories and get your boat rigged exactly the way you want it! :)

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
EY is right on. Dont worry about extras. Most dealers will throw in a CG package(life jackets, flares, throwable, etc..), but even if not, they are cheap to buy. Most dealers push one or two lines of electronics, which, again, doesnt leave you much room to compare and choose what YOU really want.

Also, what Steven Arend said, Max out your HP. This is BY FAR the most expensive upgrade on this type of boat(any OB), but most advertised prices, especially the huge great price at the boat show, is with less(sometimes FAR LESS) than max HP. Look at some boating websites with all the "Is this boat underpowered?" threads. You'll be happier when using the boat, and way happier when you go to sell, if you buy the right motor the first time.

As far as what to look for. Things like USEABLE storage, rod storage, livewells, seating, gauges, dash space. Things like, How will I mount rodholders or riggers or a planner mast or whatever on this boat? Not so much "add ons", but rather how the boat is layed out is what I would focus on. All(most) boats are going to have a livewell, but if its at the wrong end of the boat, or if your storage lockers are to shallow to store anything in, then what good are they. Layouts within basically the same hull(or style atleast) will vary greatly by manufacture. I would sit on each boat like your using it. You might look like a tool pretending to drive, sitting on a pedastal fishing, or figuring out where your going to keep your net, but you may find design flaws that are better found now than on the water with your name on the title. Picture the boat with you and all your fishing crap you own and will own on it, and see what you think of it.

Also, my $.02, since the difference in price will be minimal, get a tandem trailer. I have had one tire off a tandem pass us on the freeway. A humbling experiance. Had it been a single axle, life would be far less good right now. Just a thought.

Remember, it's way more expensive to upgrade a motor or trailer once you own one. Do it right the first time.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Having just purchased a Lund this last August, I will say it was one investment that took me 2 years to figure out. An Lund was not my first choice in the beginning but became one in the end. It was not a money issue, but one that took me some time to determine how I was going to fish, where I would be using the boat, and comfort, and the dealer that I was working with.

As far as boat shows go, I agree with Jason, almost all shows that I attended had boats that had some terrific pricing but the boat was way under powered. One you started negotiations on the correct power choice, the sale and savings went right out the window.

I looked at about 8 different lines of boats before I chose the Lund. I was a hairs breadth from purchasing a Smokercraft but the dealer would not call me back. It was as important for me to chose a dealer that would return calls, provide the service and treat me as their most important customer, after all I am about to make a huge purchase to their dealership.

Do your research on line, find someone that owns the style and make of boat you are considering buying and go for a ride. I discounted a line of boats because the ride was not a dry ride. The field test is all too important to pass up. Nothing like getting wet in 40 degree weather.

Know what the boat costs the dealer before you go to the shop. Know what the trailer costs, the engine and everything in between. You will be in the drivers seat when it is time to reach a price. Max out the hp on the boat. I notice in your statement that 4 stroke is not an option? I would not do it any other way. I have owned a 100hp 2 stroke for several years and that thing about broke me in fuel costs. A full day on the water and I would go thru over 20 gals in premixed fuel. The Lund I bought is rated at a 140hp for a 17’ Mr. Pike and I put on a 140 4 stroke. I am really glad I went that route, it was more $$ for this upgrade over the 115, but once you get to this point in the money game, it’s a no brainier. A trip to Erie and my GPS showed we ran over 210 miles for the 4 days. I m not quite sure of how many gal of fuel I went thru but I only filled the tank on time. I can run 4 ½ day fishing trips on one tanks of fuel (32gal). And they are quiet.

Rig it yourself, the dealer will do a good job but as Steve Arend will attest to, we spent 2 full evenings till 2am rigging both of our boats doing it exactly the way we wanted them and not the way the dealer thought it should be. We went thru over $100.00 in stainless steel hardware but we had a great time rigging them on our own.

Spend the $$ or have the dealer throw in a cover. And have them make it after you get everything mounted. That includes bow mounts, riggers and rod holders and graphs and antennas. But make sure the cover is included in part of the deal at time of purchase as the price goes up after you own the boat. To give you an idea as how detailed I got on my own research, I had even worked out the details on if the cover should be a snap system or a strap system.

One last tip, have your financing in you hip pocket going in the door. Do not finance thru the dealer. I am not saying that the dealer is going to rip you off, but you can actually do better on your own thru a bank that you have been doing previous business with. I found myself saving 3% points doing the financing thru my credit union vs. the dealer.

Have fun,

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
you people are AWSOME!
the only thing I would say is maybe hit the print button on your PC!!!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
A few more items,

I agree with EY- buy you own accessories thru other sources. I know the dealer would love to sell you that 240 eagle graph but……

I have fished for many years and found that there are graphs/riggers/rod holders that I am more comfortable with than others. And you should chose to research the accessories as if you were buying a boat along with where you are going to place them. Trying to make that determination while sitting across from the dealer is impossible as best. I placed all my graphs on Ram mounts to get them out of the way or to reposition them where I needed them. My choice, but there was one boat that with installing the GPS, fish graph, marine radio, compass, cell holder, and a lighter socket at the helm, even with ram mounts, it simply would not fit to where everything would be accessible and not cause interference with other electronics. You need the foresight to think that scenario thru. That boat was stricken from the list. Pretty heavy for a strike but then I wanted a boat that was set up for ME.

I did miss one item in the purchase of my Lund that I wish I would of researched a little farther. I like to mount rod holders a little further forward on the gunnels to run in-lines and found that Lund only provides marine plywood backer from the stern forward to 4 foot. After 4 foot, there is no backer for the mounts. I did send feedback to Lund an they responded that in 2005 that they are going to extend this backer. Yet, I installed my own plywood backers to accommodate the rod holders. I did find a few items lacking in the Lund that I bought. There was not enough storage for rods. There is no room for a floor mount Rod Saver for any rods over 6 foot. But, then after looking at more and more boats, I realized that unless I entered the boat building business, I would never find the perfect boat for ME. I also did not order the passenger consol and wished I had of. My consideration was that it took up room, but now that I look at it, it provides a cold ride for my passenger. And as the wife goes with me, I guess it was a consideration that I should of made.

I guess what I m trying to say is to go to the boat show and look and drool over all the new models out there but take the time to think about what you are going to put on the boat and who is going with you. To that extent, remember that the boat is actually the easy part about this. After you consider the right bow mount, graphs, riggers and all the tackle with the way you are going to fish, that’s when the purchase of the boat becomes the hard part. It doesn’t matter if it’s a Lund or not. I did not buy this boat to resell it. I bought it to keep it. Resale value did not enter into the equation. What was more important was the layout of the boat and for the size that I wanted. Ultimately it came down to the 93” beam and a wider chine along with the room for all my gear to mount in a 17 foot boat.

Just talk your dad into buying the boat that’s right for him.

Mark

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
my buddy bought a 18' targa. he got a 2 stroke. he cant stand it. the dealer thru in cannon riggers. cheap and hard to operate. and they installed 4 rod holders for him.... by by to his best rod and reel.

very good advice from these guys. only if my buddy was so lucky to have been a member.

rig it yourself
buy the components you really want.

if you want to bargin with accesories maybe these will do:
cover, spare tire, spare tire cover, swivel tongue jack, tandem axle (this i believe in 100%) upgrade the trailer, ship to shore, mounted gps, KICKER MOTOR (if you like trolling) obviously they wont give you a kicker motor but maybe sweeten up the deal a bit. good luck with your search. make sure to update us..pb

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't buy one to small and a year later kick yourself in the butt thinking you should have bought one slightly bigger. Boats have a way of shrinking once you start adding on all the goodies.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
i heard that is the 2 foot syndrome.... i have a 19.5 but dream of a 22footer.. go figure.:D i suffer it as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow thanks for all the replies, I really lke the idea of sitting in the boat like your on the water, if anyone is there and you some old guy and a slightly younger guy sitting in a boat at the show going vroom vroom stop by and say hi if your not to emberrassed:D

This is an awesome sight thanks for everything!

p.s. i mis spoke my self on the motor my dad only wants a four stroke.

Thanks again,

jim

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I bought a new Lund last year and here is what I learned.

Things I've did right:

Max the outboard HP
Full size spare for trailer
Best electronics I could afford
Trailering cover
24v trolling motor
3 bank charger
RESEARCH THE SERVICE QUALITY OF THE DEALER

Things I should have done then that I'm doing now:

Marine radio and BIG antenna
Pursuit tracks and rod holders (Bert's would be fine too)
Third seat

I'm not a real mechanical type person so I needed a dealer that can rig a boat right and handle the install of electronics. I'll pay a little for that. I need that dealer to stay in business so I can get good service. I've never regreted my decision. By the way, the dealer was Lindy's Sales, and they are a 2 hour drive from me.

Lindy's Sales

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Polarbear, I have a 22ftr and dream of a 26ftr...lol

I purchased my 22ft Islander new and here is what I did and I'm glad I did it. Buy the BIGGEST, FASTEST, most updated motor available for that boat. Yes, it will cost you more upfront, but you will never regret that choice. Buy everything the manufacturer offers for that boat including canvasses, drop curtains, aft curtains, covers, gages etc....I mean EVERY option. A tandom trailer is a must.

Now take that package and check it with at least 5 dealers.

Plan on keeping that new boat at least 6 years for a decent upfront$/used price$ payback ratio. Take ultimate care of that boat. Spare no expense when it comes to maintenance and keep your records. If you ever decide to upgrade, those are the things the next buyer will appreciate about your boat.

I agree Lunds are excellent boats. I've had 2 Starcrafts and have not had one single complaint about either of them. They are good strong boats for the money with a well thought out fishing area.

Good luck and have fun.

By the way, Lindy's is an excellent choice. Probably the best around in sales and service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts