1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starting to rain acorns on my property

Hear they’re good to eat

Anyone eat them? How do they taste?

Know my acorn fed deer taste good. Heh heh heh.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I’ve tried them when I was a kid- and they are quite bitter and astringent. Never tried them again.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
I don't know about acorns but my MIL used to pickup the black walnuts in her yard and roast them they were good. So I don't see why you couldn't.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
They have been falling by us for about the last week or two and it shows on my plots and trail cams. All the deer seemed to have disappeared. From seeing 15-20 a night on the plots to only about 4-5 since the nuts started to hit the ground.

·
Premium Member
30,304 Posts
Used to know a guy that said he would icefish with acorn grubs. I never know it was a thing

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
When I was in elementary school, I picked some acorns during recess and put them in my desk. One day I opened my desk and freaked out that some of the acorns were moving. There were larvae chewing their way out.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Used to know a guy that said he would icefish with acorn grubs. I never know it was a thing

Sent from my iPad using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Its easy to tell which acorn have grubs in them. Toss a handful into a bucket of water and the ones that float are likely to have grubs. Easy and cheap way to get some bait.

Back to eating acorns, you can boil them with 3 or 4 water changes and its supposed to help pull the tannin's and the bitterness out. I have heard but never tried, you can make flour out of dried acorns, suppose you could eat them just plain too.

·
Registered
633 Posts
wouldnt they all float? never tried that
No they don't all float. The ones that have been eaten by the grubs float because the grubs eat the acorn and basically make a pocket of air and grub shat. While the ones that sink are still full of acorn. At least that is how its supposed to work in theory. Your results may vary.

Reactions: jimbo
1 - 15 of 15 Posts