Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 month old Vizsla has what looks like an Achilles tear or partial tear. I'm waiting for the x ray reading to verify that nothing is broken. Has anyone gone through this with their dogs before? Did your dog fully recover? It looks like the dog would be in a cast for 2 months after surgery.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My 10 month old Vizsla has what looks like an Achilles tear or partial tear. I'm waiting for the x ray reading to verify that nothing is broken. Has anyone gone through this with their dogs before? Did your dog fully recover? It looks like the dog would be in a cast for 2 months after surgery.
In the same situtation right now with my Brittany. Lots of info on line and on this site. Not fun.
Zippy and I are in the 2nd month of a wait and see/hope approach. I would be interested in how things go and what you decide to do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the same situtation right now with my Brittany. Lots of info on line and on this site. Not fun.
Zippy and I are in the 2nd month of a wait and see/hope approach. I would be interested in how things go and what you decide to do.
So you did not have the surgery?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not yet, but it will probably be soon, as the "wait and see approach" is very frustrating without showing consistent improvment.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A few years back during a January hunt when my Brit was 9 years old this happened to him. The surgery was performed at Wilson Veterinary Clinic ("fishing line method", not titanium plates/screws method). By summer he was almost fully recovered. We hunted a lot that fall (including a week in South Dakota) and he did fine. He's 14-years old now and no issues with that injury since. Best of luck - I am confident it will turn out well for your pup! Frank

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few years back during a January hunt when my Brit was 9 years old this happened to him. The surgery was performed at Wilson Veterinary Clinic ("fishing line method", not titanium plates/screws method). By summer he was almost fully recovered. We hunted a lot that fall (including a week in South Dakota) and he did fine. He's 14-years old now and no issues with that injury since. Best of luck - I am confident it will turn out well for your pup! Frank
Frank,
Was that place on Durham Rd? What did they charge you do it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Frank,
Was that place on Durham Rd? What did they charge you do it?
Yes on Durham Road (near 31 and Van Dyke). Back then it cost approximately $600. The titanium plate method was several thousands. They recommend the more expensive route for very large breed dogs. Frank

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes on Durham Road (near 31 and Van Dyke). Back then it cost approximately $600. The titanium plate method was several thousands. They recommend the more expensive route for very large breed dogs. Frank
Thanks, I'll call them tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
This happened with a buddy of mine's 1 yr old vizsla beginning of June, except it wasn't a tear per se, it was a slice from something sharp while she was running in a yard chasing a squirrel, but I'm pretty sure it was the achilles that was cut (it was her rear leg tendon, so I'm guessing it was the achilles). She had surgery, which I'm guessing is the same or similar as a tear would be treated, with an expected full recovery, and I believe she is doing great now and will be fine to hunt this fall. I remember the recovery expectation was that she would be able to hunt this fall, I haven't spoken to them about the dog specifically lately, but they have been posting videos and pics on facebook of her running around and swimming for the past month or so, so it appears she had a 100% recovery. It cost him around $3,000, which was a bummer, but what else is there to do?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
This happened with a buddy of mine's 1 yr old vizsla beginning of June, except it wasn't a tear per se, it was a slice from something sharp while she was running in a yard chasing a squirrel, but I'm pretty sure it was the achilles that was cut (it was her rear leg tendon, so I'm guessing it was the achilles). She had surgery, which I'm guessing is the same or similar as a tear would be treated, with an expected full recovery, and I believe she is doing great now and will be fine to hunt this fall. I remember the recovery expectation was that she would be able to hunt this fall, I haven't spoken to them about the dog specifically lately, but they have been posting videos and pics on facebook of her running around and swimming for the past month or so, so it appears she had a 100% recovery. It cost him around $3,000, which was a bummer, but what else is there to do?
Ok I just spoke to him, it was the tendon above the upper pad on the back leg. He said she is 95% right now. It happened towards the beginning of June.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I just spoke to him, it was the tendon above the upper pad on the back leg. He said she is 95% right now. It happened towards the beginning of June.
I had him into surgery today & it wasn't the achillies tendon after all. He had a tear & dislocation of the superficial digital flexor tendon extension. He'll be in a cast for 4 to 6 weeks, then a soft bandage for 4 weeks, then gradual exercise for 4 weeks. It looks like there will be extra grouse & woodcock this season since I won't be taking my share. I cancelled my 2 Michigan trips & my South Dakota trip. Maybe he'll be ready by January & I'll go down South for woodcock.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had him into surgery today & it wasn't the achillies tendon after all. He had a tear & dislocation of the superficial digital flexor tendon extension. He'll be in a cast for 4 to 6 weeks, then a soft bandage for 4 weeks, then gradual exercise for 4 weeks. It looks like there will be extra grouse & woodcock this season since I won't be taking my share. I cancelled my 2 Michigan trips & my South Dakota trip. Maybe he'll be ready by January & I'll go down South for woodcock.
I hope your pup has a speedy recovery. You did the right thing by addressing it now. It's unfortunate that you have to cancel trips you've looked forward to. Late season preserve hunts might be fun for your pup after he recovers. Frank

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts