Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally admitting I made a bad decision on my last purchase I'm in the market for a new Muzzy.

The 2 I have come down to is the Accura MR in Nitride or Cerakote vs the TC FX. Is the FX worth the extra $. I hear the quality is not what it used to be so I'm a bit hesitant.

Gander has the FX on sale so it's only about $100 more. I know I need the BH breech for the CVA and scope rings for the FX so that's a wash.

Anyone with some input would be great!

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
After finally admitting I made a bad decision on my last purchase I'm in the market for a new Muzzy.

The 2 I have come down to is the Accura MR in Nitride or Cerakote vs the TC FX. Is the FX worth the extra $. I hear the quality is not what it used to be so I'm a bit hesitant.

Gander has the FX on sale so it's only about $100 more. I know I need the BH breech for the CVA and scope rings for the FX so that's a wash.

I'd suggest you do a side by side comparison of both rifles. Handle (shoulder) them both, operate the actions of both. Review them for the quality you expect.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Encore, I did yesterday and that's why I'm stumped. That's also the reason I got in trouble with my last purchase.

Both seem to be very nice and fit me well. Just looking for opinions with someone who has handled both.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
My personal preference would be the FX between the two you mention. I've had guys shooting both T/C and CVA here over the years and the T/C rifles have been the better IMO. However......... if I were to buy a new production rifle today, I'd go back to Knight. Yes Knight was sold, but the new owners are working very hard to continue to make a high quality product. A Knight with the bare primer would definitely be my choice and most likely a fast twist .45 cal.
Dad always used to say, "If you don't have the money or time to do it right the first time, where will you get the money or time to do it over?"

Good luck with your decision.

http://www.knightrifles.com/muzzleloaders/

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would really like to see them in person. That place is 2.5 hours away unfortunately.

What one do you recommend?

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
If...... I were to purchase a new PRODUCTION rifle, it would be a fast twist Knight, not a bit of doubt in my mind.

If..... I had the choice between the two you first mentioned, it would be the T/C. Regardless what some say, T/C (S&W) is still doing pretty good work when it comes to fixing problems. I'm not saying they're perfect, but a couple guys that are members here, had their problems taken care of by T/C.

IMO............. CVA just floods the market with cheap muzzleloaders and I'm not saying they're not worth the couple hundred you pay for them just to hunt with. If......... I were to own a CVA muzzleloader, the only one I would consider is the Apex. Any lessor rifle from CVA I wouldn't spend my money on, but that's ME and many consider ME a nut case........ (they may be correct too).

I highly suggest you not make a "quick snap decision", one that you may regret later down the road. Determine exactly what your expectations are or will be, then go from there. If you just want a muzzleloader to hunt a couple days a year with, well then just about anything will do. If you want to use the muzz for all your hunting, expect it to last years, be confident with and enjoy, accurate and/or shoot long range, then I would suggest spending the extra for a higher quality rifle and scope.

CVA may sell a lot of in-line "hunting rifles", but CVA can't compete with other manufacturer's rifles in matches or competitions. Not that you want or necessarily need a rifle for competition, but look over what those who do compete use...........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The MR over the FX, every day.

It's just a better gun!

·
Registered
108 Posts

Just curious! Why aren't you interested in the various models of the T/C Triumph? or Knight Vision.... both of-which models I would rather own.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have no reason really. Those are the two I looked at when I was at the gun shop. I'm not familiar with Knight at all so I'm not sure about any of there models. I'm all ears!

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
I have no reason really. Those are the two I looked at when I was at the gun shop. I'm not familiar with Knight at all so I'm not sure about any of there models. I'm all ears!
TC Impact. Mine shoots just as good if not better than my Encore. For less than half the price. With the money you save you can mount good quality glass on it. I have the camo/stainless model which I recommend.

·
Registered
36,067 Posts
If you want an accurate muzzleloader see if you can find a used Knight Disc Elite. They have an adjustable trigger too. Knight made 45 & 50 cal models.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
If you want an accurate muzzleloader see if you can find a used Knight Disc Elite. They have an adjustable trigger too. Knight made 45 & 50 cal models.
There's a number of them for sale on FB, but not sure if there's an Elite in any of them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So many Encore owners eventuallyhave accuracy woes and sell their MLs, when all that is needed is changing /upgrading that darn factory hinge pin on it.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will probably not go with a knight do to not seeing or holding one. With no dealers any where close I don't see that happening. That's a lot of money to spend on something I have never shouldered. I would also never buy a bow without shooting one, I would like to make sure it fits me.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
I will probably not go with a knight do to not seeing or holding one. With no dealers any where close I don't see that happening. That's a lot of money to spend on something I have never shouldered. I would also never buy a bow without shooting one, I would like to make sure it fits me.
Fix all your problems, buy an Ultimate :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts