Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking the boys out on Saturday for the Youth Opener. Are they allowed to shoot geese? And if so, how many. We have never hunted geese before and we could use some help interpreting the rules. Thanks in advance.

John, Andy & Stevie

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
I am going to hopefully take some young kids out goose hunting this weekend.

I am not going to allow them to shoot ducks or maybe one a piece. Our ducks have very little color at this point. If it is hard for and experienced hunter to tell until there in your grill, i cant see a youngin who has never hunted identifying them.

I know that I have said this before and I know that youngins need to learn to identify drakes from hens. But I believe the youth season youngins should be able to shoot 2 3 4 mallards any sex. Alot of these kids have never duck hunted and having ducks on the ground would be a great time to show and explain the difference. I think with their father breathing down their neck at the moment of truth telling them to shoot one duck over the other ups the level of stress.

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I'm taking my son out. Our Goal: 2 geese and 3 wood ducks. Haven't seen any teal at our spot yet.

Maybe one mallard...but that's it unless he gets a drake! I took a "sick" day yesterday to enjoy the last day of early goose out in the marsh, and several mallard drakes came in to the decoys that had virtually NO color to them. But I saw TONS of woodies though!

Have fun with the kids out there next weekend!

·
Registered
10,937 Posts
have em shoot all the teal in the world
I would but prolly gonna be field hunting honkers. I know if we are hunting in a couple of diferrent areas we are going to be dive bombed by mallards. Might let um each shoot ONE to be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts